Can Steroids for Iritis cause Cataracts?

Please introduce yourself to others by posting a brief note here. This serves as an archive for the site and helps us keep track of our many participants' situations. You will not get replies to posts placed here. To interact with others, go to the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS area of this website.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

byuangelsmom

Can Steroids for Iritis cause Cataracts?

Post by byuangelsmom »

My co-worker is having Cataract (sp) surgery tomorrow. She was told by her doctor that the steroid eye drops she has been using have caused them. She will have surgery in her left eye first (which is the worst), then the right eye if all goes well.

Has anyone heard of the steroid drops causing cataracts? I haven't seen any mention of this problem in the posts that I have scanned.

Thanks,
Angela
Mike Bartolatz

Steroid eye drops and cataracts

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Yes steroid eye drops can cause cataracts and glaucoma as well.

so can the disease process as well as other potentially sight threatening changes in the eye.

your friend might well have a renewed bout of uveitis after surgery. she would benefit from a consultation with an Ocular Immunologist to start a steroid sparing treatment regimen as well as to look for a possible genetic link to as systemic disease process.

Have her join us here please and thanks for seeking information for your friend with a very rare eye disease.

Sincerely,
Mike Bartolatz
Mike Bartolatz