N-acetylcarnosine

Addtional information on drugs and medications.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

JoMo

N-acetylcarnosine

Post by JoMo »

I've heard talk of N-acetylcarnosine drops for the treatment of emerging cateracts. Has anyone had any experience with this substance?

Thanks,

JoMo!
eccho

This might interest you@!

Post by eccho »

JoMo

Post by JoMo »

Thanks, Eccho- though that's the same result I got when I plugged the term into Google myself. The study is what piqued my interest in the treatment, as I first heard of it through one of iritis.org's sponsored links, and frankly, their site gave me a serious 'snake oil' vibe, with their ostentatious claims and overall site design- I feel like I should be getting a free steak knife with every new order or something. But if there was a (supposedly NIH) study with generally positive results, as the article seems to suggest, then I'd at least like to know if there is anyone who can offer their personal experiences with the drug, pro or con, before I dip into my meager funds. This may all be moot now, though, as I'm not averse to the idea of cateract surgery, and it looks like I finally have a job with sufficient healthcare coverage to get it done. But while I'm unsure of the nuances of my policy, I can pretty much guarantee you that it's not going to cover $140 of non-FDA approved eyedrops.

-JoMo!
JoMo

Cataract eyedrops

Post by JoMo »

I conferred briefly with my ophthalmologist today with regard to N-acetylcarnosine or carnosine in general, and he didn't seem immediately familiar with either. As he is a highly experienced Eye MD, this does not bode well for the drops. But he did balk at the suggestion that any drops would reverse a cataract. "Cataracts occur when the proteins of the lens become denatured. And nothing can undo that denaturing."

Perhaps carnosine, or any of its variants, might make a good eyedrop overall. But I remain convinced that anyone who tells you that a regimen of drops can substitute for surgery is trying to play you for a sucka, and have discredited themselves by their own outrageous claims.

-JoMo!