Iritis- warning flag about another diease?

Please introduce yourself to others by posting a brief note here. This serves as an archive for the site and helps us keep track of our many participants' situations. You will not get replies to posts placed here. To interact with others, go to the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS area of this website.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Brenda

Iritis- warning flag about another diease?

Post by Brenda »

I was diagnosed today for iritis. I had noticed light sensitivity, soreness, and blurry vision to my right eye about 2 months ago. Then it went away. It came back strong one week ago and this time the eye because red and more irritated. I visited the eye doctor and she said I have iritis. I have been prescribed to take 8 drops for 2 days of Maxidex (Dexamethason) and reduce to 6 drops a day. With a follow up visit in 1 week.

The doctor asked if I have had any health problems, like arithritis. I had been diagnosed with cervical and ovarian cancer last year, which I had a radial hysteretomy and some chemo treatments. I feel fine today, but sometimes tired and some soreness in my joints. I assume the chemo has weakened my immune system and has contributed to my having iritis. Another diease it activated was shingles, I contribute it to the weakening my immune system.

I wondering if I should go to the doctor to be checked if there is something else going on in my body that iritis is a warning flag.
Mike Bartolatz

herpes Zoster

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Dear Brenda,
It MIGHT be that you have developed herpes Zoster related uveitis. this is the same virus that causes Shingles and is related to chicken pox. it becomes activated after lying dormant for many years. Please read about treatment for this. Acyclovir is an antiviral medication that can be used to control Herpes Zoster. It is critical to control this virus as it can cause allot of damage to the eye. contact your doctor for a folowup exam. there is information available at this site on Herpes Zoster and treatment to control it.

Wish you the best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz