Chronic Iritis

Please introduce yourself to others by posting a brief note here. This serves as an archive for the site and helps us keep track of our many participants' situations. You will not get replies to posts placed here. To interact with others, go to the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS area of this website.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Yvonne

Chronic Iritis

Post by Yvonne »

Hello,
I've been suffering with iritis for 28 years. I believe it began by trauma to the eye when I was fitted for very thin hard lenses and couldn't remove them. I worked very hard at it until I was told by my opthalmologist's technician that he had failed to give me the little plunger that I was to use to remove these lenses. I went into the doctor's office for removal, but the very next day I had a full flare in my left eye. Over the years, I have experienced "sympathetic" episodes in the right eye. I was an in-patient at Johns Hopkins for five days and went through a series of tests to determine the cause, because doctors seem to pooh-pooh the trauma theory. All of my tests results showed no link to any systemic causes; recent tests were also negative. I am well versed and practiced in the treatment of iritis and hadn't had an attack for several years until December of last year, when my granddaughter and I were sparring and she accidentally, and very lightly, tapped me beneath my eye. The next morning I had a flare up and have not been able to bring it under control for any extended period. I aggressively treat the involved eye in the beginning, but when I reach the tapering off period, I have a recurrence. The treatments have exacerbated my cataracts, which were just beginning to form due to "the aging" process. But my vision has changed. I am very frustrated, depressed and at wits end. This is the first time in all of these years that I have not been able to get these flare ups under control. I've just relieved one eye yesterday and now I feel an episode beginning in the other. I am under doctor's care (two to be exact; I was referred by one to the other), but I don't even want to consult with them anymore except to have my pressure monitored and vision examined. I'm so distressed and sad. And, scared that I'll never get control of these episodes or suffer loss of vision through overmedication. I've taken to prayer and hoping for a miracle! Any words of advise or support out there?
Mike Bartolatz

Dr Nguyen

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Quan D. Nguyen, MD
The Wilmer Ophthalmological Institute
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Maumenee 708
600 North Wolfe Street
Baltimore, MD 21287
Tel: (410)955-2160 (410)614-6995
E-mail: qnguyen4@jhmi.edu

Please contact Dr Nguyen in Baltimore. He is an ocular immunologist. a rare breed of opthalmologist trained to stop this roller coaster ride you are currently on.
over time iritis/uveitis causes cataract, glaucoma, epiretinal membranes, Cystoid Macular Edema, Detached Retina, Vitreous hemorrhage. long term steroid use also causes cataract and glaucoma and weakens tissues of the eye and orbit.
It might be possible to do some additional testing to find out if genetics plays a role in your anterior iritis. Immunomodulation or NSAID therapy might be appropriate for you to discuss with Dr Nguyen.

Please indicate to HIM that you were recommended by Mike Bartolatz via Dr Foster's support groups.

wish you the best,
Sincerely,
Mike Bartolatz

you might also want to join the support group at http://pub24.ezboard.com/buveitissupportmeei msb
Mike Bartolatz