Acuvail for iritis

Post here to exchange iritis general information and support with others.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Arthur

Acuvail for iritis

Post by Arthur »

My eye doctor put me on Acuvail after Prednisolone failed to fully rid my right eye of iritis. Has anyone else been placed on this eye drops which is for cataract eye surgery? Any advice about this? Thanks.
vancouver

Re: Acuvail for iritis

Post by vancouver »

You prolly have a few cells lingering. I assume you sought treatment late. I took a drop of steroid daily for months and cells finally disappeared. I've heard nsaid drops don't work for iritis. Next time, I would not take anything for lingering cells because I know I'm very stable. Iritis only triggers every few years. I'm thinking quack quack but I could be wrong. Oral nsaids are also used for iritis. Quack. Quack.
Arthur

Post by Arthur »

How many months did you go on a drop a day of steroid? I was put on three cycles of a drop every hour then every 2 then every 3 then every 4 because I saw three different eye doctors every time. That would be for a total of about 6 weeks. That was before my current doctor placed me on Acuvail. I still don't feel free of iritis.
vancouver

Post by vancouver »

Well acuvail is basically a placebo for u. My doc did not tell me I still had trace cells. I was on one drop per day for 3 months. I consider that 90 unnecessary drops because I'm so stable. You take the daily steroid drop because it supposedly lowers the chance of new flare-up. My cells lingered because I did not treat the iritis attack for 17 days. The two subsequent attacks were caught early and the cells did not linger. I caught the last attack very early and only needed about 1% of the drops I normally take.
Anyway, trace cells don't do damage. It's common to have lingering trace cells. Steroids are toxic so u don't want to use them for trace cells. Steroids are always stopped at trace.
Arthur

Post by Arthur »

Thanks. With the trace cells, does the affected eye feel normal to you. Mine still gets blurry at times and feels dry after sleep. 'Refresh' eye drops help. The eye does not hurt nor does it look different from the other eye. I can live with it if there's really no getting rid of them totally. The eye doctors say my iritis is the stubborn kind. I really don't want to be on prednisone nor nsaid drops for a long period if they really do no more good at this stage.
vancouver

Post by vancouver »

With trace cells, you should not feel anything. I don't know the side effects of nsaid drops. However, they are not toxic like steroids. You would b on steroids if your eyes were inflamed. Blurry eyes should b taken seriously.
Have an eye chart on Wall and test your eyes individually to see if your vision is indeed reduced. Blurry eyes in morning is normal. Monitor your eyes for persistent red or blurriness. Catch the next episode early and u likely won't have lingering trace cells.
vancouver

Post by vancouver »

Don't go off the nsaid drops without consulting doc. I have zero medical knowledge. You should not experience
Pain again. You should catch iritis early next time. Hopefully, it will b seven years. Could b in other eye next time.
Arthur

Post by Arthur »

Thanks again. Really appreciated hearing from your experience. Hoping I never get it in my other eye.
vancouver

Post by vancouver »

If u have other questions, let me know. I also have stubborn iritis.
Arthur

Post by Arthur »

I think youre right about Acuvail/nsaid. It did not work. I feel a recurrence going on. I will try giving it a drop a day of predforte.
vancouver

Post by vancouver »

Reproxalap sounds promising. I'm on one drop pred too. Doc says forever. You might try every second day. One drop is common strategy. My doc mentioned scarring of lens capsule as being bad . I had scarring with no pain this Christmas because substitute doc said I was clear when I was not. I know it's not replaceable like lens. 365 drops/year versus how many drops otherwise. Looking through pinhole to see cells works for me despite the cells I have permanently in vitreous.