Such a thing as 'mild' iritis and can it pass on its own?

Post here to exchange iritis general information and support with others.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Juninho1976

Such a thing as 'mild' iritis and can it pass on its own?

Post by Juninho1976 »

I had my first ever iritis back five months ago and then yesterday was worried I had it again as lots of the same early symptoms. Slightly painful eye and very sensitive to light (and triggering the pain). All very stressful as I am due to fly long haul right now - but have been putting lots of dry eye drops and it seems to have cleared a little.

Still a little red and very marginally blurry vision.

My question here (and I just joined the forum! Thank you so much for setting this up and I am most definitely buying your book!)- so based on what I have read it should be ok fly , I am going to Singapore so know I can get treatment but a bit concerned if it flares up during the flight.

Is there such a thing as a mild version ? Can it naturally pass? Could I just have a dry eye (but never had that before and the symptoms are very very similar)?

Fingers crossed as I am going to board in an hour!
kwork

Re: Such a thing as 'mild' iritis and can it pass on its own?

Post by kwork »

To me dry eye and iritis feel different. One way I can tell if I'm getting a flare up is to test my iris muscles. I can focus on a distant object and then place my hand reading distance from my eye and force it to focus. This will cause slight pain when a flare up is coming. Everyone is different so you could get s mild version but it will eventually get worse. So any type of iritis should be treated immediately. Flying should be ok it's most likely the stress that will caused issues.

Thank you for deciding to buy the book, it funds this web site!
Iritis.org Administrator
vancouver

Post by vancouver »

You can shine light in your good eye to test if moving iris in suspect eye causes pain. Personally, id put in steroid drops and see doc asap. Inflammation is very serious and should be treated as emergency. Is this granulomatous?
U should check eyes for red every day and go to doc if red persists past the morning. Good luck.
Last edited by vancouver on Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Juninho1976

Post by Juninho1976 »

Hi thanks for the tips both.

It was fine yesterday slight redness but my vision seemed ok. Last night my eye felt like it had built up a lot of mucus (is that the correct term) and this morning there is no pain or sensitivity to bright light but my vision in one eye is a little blurred.

And the eye is still red.

I know if I was back home I would just go straight to the doctor but its not clear here who I should see - but I will ask.

From what I am reading I strongly suspect its dry eye but its the same eye that i got hit with iritis a few months back so will try and work out how to see an eye doctor asap.
vancouver

Post by vancouver »

You should have steroid drops for emergencies.
Taking 6 drops per day for few days is nothing b4 seeing doc. Tske whstever was prescribed last time. You really need to know your cell count and how red your eye is at different cell counts. 1 to 5 cells is not a big deal. Anything more should not be tolerated. Mucous sort of suggests not iritis.

Some people have such mild iritis they never are diagnosed. Hope its not iritis.

You pretty much need to see opthomologist
Emergency doc or gp wont be able to interpret slit lamp.

I assume u didnt have any synechiae last time.
Some people seem to hsve it even with mild iritis.
The doc would have given u cycloplegic to dilate eye. You can look at size and shape of your pupil
Maybe magnify to see better. Should be same size and shape as other eye.

Generally ,u go to emergency and u get immediste appt with opthomologist.
Juninho1976

Post by Juninho1976 »

So having almost cleared up yesterday - this morning my eye was mildly aching and looks a little red.

And as the day has progressed the mild pain has been sustained and it is very sensitive to light - almost as soon as I step outside it waters a lot.

I am struggling to be able to get an appointment at an opthamologist until tomorrow at the earliest (when I am due to fly back home) - I am not even sure i will be able to get a mild cortico steroid drop off the shelf but i am a little paranoid as if its fungal that could be worse than just leaving it a few more days

The only other option is to wait at A&E where it could take up to 4 hours and i am not really certain what the rules are for a foreigner!

So - sorry to ask on here (and as soon as its reasonable I will ask someone in England!) but what would you do.

My options seem to be:
1. Sit it out (and thus far it has been ok) - but i have a 12 hour flight - this is the option I am leaning on and I can go and see someone as soon as I arrive home. Are there risks in doing this? Bear in mind it was just as bad on Saturday night (and in hind sight perhaps I should have just cancelled my trip but I assumed it would be pretty straightforward if it got worse).

2. Go to A&E with no guarantee that will help at all ...

3. See if I can somehow get some steroid drops to keep just in case - but here I am worried I could do worse than just sitting it out... ...
Juninho1976

Post by Juninho1976 »

Just to reply to vancouver - I am not sure what 'synechiae ' is but last time I had two drops - one to dialate (and made my vision very blurry) and the other was the steroid

I stopped using the former much sooner than anticipated (as recommended by my doctor) - i.e. less than the total I was prescribed if that makes sense... and was told that was ok but that i had to finish the steroid treatment once I had started.
vancouver

Post by vancouver »

Synechiae is when the iris sticks to lens. There sre two types of iritis: granulomatous and nongranulomatous. Granlominius is stickier and synechiae happens easier. You take dilating drugs to prevent synechiiae. Not much risk to dilating drugs.

Four drops of steroid(pred forte) per day is not something id worry about. Id just take. Its the strong stuff. If you were prescribed soft steroid or less drops, then just take that without worrying.
Its important to taper off steroids.

Inflammation damage is insidious. You may not feel anything.

Emergency will be able to dilate eye as precaution or any optometrist.(stop synechiae)
Dilation though not magic bullet. I dont know your cell count and i only know my iritis. Iritis experienc varies tremendously.
Also,Your eye is sort of cooking . Not good. Best to get steroid asap. Two more days might not be problem but get the eye dilated, at least. Some people are more sensitive to inflammation so who knows.

Iritis is very serious and you should be very scared. Good news is thst the steroids are magic bullet so foolish to ignore like this.

Me, id run to emergency. Good luck.
Last edited by vancouver on Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vancouver

Post by vancouver »

I dont know much about mild iritis. Some people talk of pain and synechiae with mild iritis. I dont even have watery eyes or eye aches with mild iritis. My vision is blurred though. Having an eye chart at home helps measure temporary vision loss.

As far as synechiae, i think that causes the intense pain. It causes scars to form on lens as the iris sticks to lens and breaks away or adheres permanently. I have permanent synechiae. My doc said i was nuts to ignore such pain. Otoh, i hear people say they have synechiae with no pain and thought they had mild iritis.

A few days of Grade 1 mild iritis would not worry me but others may have different experience.
Temporary Vision loss is caused by the cells and protein in your eye so if i only lose one line on the eye chsrt it is mild iritis. If i cant see anything, then it likely grade 4. Mild iritis of course is serious for me because i go to grade 4 iritis if i dont get the iritis early.

Floaters are another important symptom to watch for. You need to look up into the sky to see them.
Not harmful.

Retinal swelling is a danger with inflammation. My doc is very aggessive with steroids because of this. I have no idea how inflammation at front of eye can cause retinal swelling . I assume mild inflammation is unlikely to cause retinal inflammation. Some people who get elevated pressure from steroids, dont treat mild iritis.
Im talking grade 1 iritis. Up to 15 cells, i think

Another variable, is how effective the steroid is in stopping the inflammation. Some may need 24 drops while others may need only 4 drops for the same cell count.
Juninho1976

Post by Juninho1976 »

Hi Vancouver (and others) - thank you so much for your help/advice.

My condition worsened last night but luckily I finally got to see an opthamlaogist today at about 11:45/12 todat (I got an appointment for 11 am so thought I would wait it out overnight- he was unavoidably detained but very good when I did meet him).

It is anterior uvetitis and luckily not spread to the retina but he has prescribed a very aggresive course.Pred Forte - 5 times an hour for the initial load, an ointment for the plane for sleep and tapering to 1 drop an hour.

i am a little concerned as it sounds like it is a very aggressive treatment but he said it was purely to halt it (I get the impression I should indeed have gone earlier -yesI know...) and then have a follow up asap. He also wanted to reduce the redness ahead of my flight.

I believe I might be able to get that follow up check back home on sunday but failing that Monday.

Has anyone had that aggressive a schedule? 5 drops an hour for a day?
vancouver

Post by vancouver »

4 times an hour seems routine from my readings.
Its only for a day. Hourly seems to be the standard
After that.
How is your vision? I wouldnt worry too much if he prescribed too much. Its only the short term.
Im assuming this is equivalent to 1% prednisolone
Which is the strong stuff.

Im not going to second guess a doctor.

Did he give you dilating drops? If not, it cant.be that bad.

I caught my iritis early last time and did not need dilating drops. I monitored redness and vision .
Redness did not go away completely until the cell count was negligible. Redness was very subtle .
Vision also improved as cell count went down.
If u have dilating drops, your vision will be blurry
With no cells.

The ointment is important. I actually woke up reapplied it in middle of night. Doc liked that idea as it tends to get squeezed out of eye.

Hoping you get healthy fast:)
Juninho1976

Post by Juninho1976 »

Thanks Vancouver - I actually called him about 5 hours after and he suggested I could drop to 1 an hour.

I am now back home and I spoke to a doctor and based on that I have dropped to every 4 hours (which matches the regime I was on once before). And I have dropped the anti biotic. Not sure who is right but in England we seem a little averse to anti biotics until necessary.

He also gave me dilating drops and my vision in one eye is very blurry. But its much better in terms of pain.

I'm not sure if dropping to 1 every four hours is good or bad but I am going to try and see an opthalomigist on Monday first thing and go from there. I am just a bit paranoid about overdoing it on the steroids and if that means a slightly slower healing then that sounds ok.

Who knows though - doctors opinions will differ.

Thats why this website (and the book - which I now have finally!) is so great as there may not be a right/wrong call sometimes but being better informed allows us to make a judgement call with more information.
Juninho1976

Post by Juninho1976 »

Sorry I should add- the leaflet with the medicine suggested 2 drops an hour as the max loading dose hence the paranoia as over use of steroids can have their own complications.
vancouver

Post by vancouver »

Ive read that 4 drops an hour is standard but for 8 hrs seemed long. Antibiotics?? That seems questionable. My doc does hourly until cells are negligible. My iritis is a bit stubborn though. What kind of doc did you see? Ordinary doc not qualified. Every four hours is not much.
If you still have redness or pain , that suggests the
Iritis is still there. As i said, i dont understand mild iritis treatment. If your improvement is fast with only four drops then a lower dose does make sense. Every four hours is not uncommon prescription. The goal is to get down to negligible cells fast ie 1-5 cells. All Redness should be gone at that point. Really study the redness of your eye daily to become familiar with what is normal.
Good lighting important.

I guess they load to build up steroid in the eye fast.
Some docs load drops at night instead of ointment. Ie one drop every 10 minutes for an hour before you go to sleep.

A day of inflammation is not too consequential.
I always have to wait until monday to see eye doc.
The toxicity of inflammation is much worse than toxicity of steroid though. If you are not improving up the dose.

Glad you are doing better.
Juninho1976

Post by Juninho1976 »

Hi - I saw an ophthalmologist and actually he seemed to be quite knowledgeable about uveitis. I have since returned home and gone to an eye hospital (also had to wait until monday) and they said all looks ok.

As this is the second bout in 4 months they are running some blood tests plus a chest scan to see if there is anything underlying causing it but the doctor here said it was more likely just random.

Random... I guess I need to read that book but i got the kindle edition and too bright still on my phone! (need to find my kindle!)