New to group but not new to iritis

Please introduce yourself to others by posting a brief note here. This serves as an archive for the site and helps us keep track of our many participants' situations. You will not get replies to posts placed here. To interact with others, go to the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS area of this website.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

TraceyS

New to group but not new to iritis

Post by TraceyS »

Hello everyone. I am 52 yo stay at home mom and have been living with reoccurring iritis since about age 9. I have been blessed with many good ophthalmologists (and just a few not so good ones) along the way. I am experiencing my first real flare up since having cataract surgery in 2010. The cataract formed in my teens and was likely caused by heavy use of Decadron (the drug of choice in the 60's and 70's. I test positive for the HLA-B27 marker.

Tracey
Mike Bartolatz

Re: New to group but not new to iritis

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

if your iritis becomes recurrent or chronic you might consider alternative to a steroid only approach to treatment. today HLA B27 related uveitis is frequently initially treated with steroids and then a steroid sparing approach to treatment is initiated employing an oral NSAID such as Celebrex, dolobid or Naproxen at PRESCRIPTION strength under the supervision of a medical doctor to make sure your liver and kidneys etc. can tolerate NSAIDS. if after six months of a trial of NSAIDS you are still having recurrent or chronic iritis, then you move on to DMARD drugs such as methotrexate, Cellcept or Imuran to retrain your immune system to stop attacking your eyes.

my uveitis flared in my late 40's and it took a long time to get it quieted down. because of steroids I developed glaucoma and cystoid macular edema with epiretinal membranes growing over the CME. today my vision is limited in my left eye and pretty good in my right as I can still legally drive. had I been given an option to steroids many years ago in the 70's My vision would most likely be much better today.

wish you the very best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz