contact lenses

Post here to exchange iritis general information and support with others.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Clivia

contact lenses

Post by Clivia »

hi everybody - I read already that one can actually wear contact lenses although one suffers occasionally from Iritis.

I am fine at the moment for about a month now - I only wear very occasionally contact lenses - the daily ones on an evening out. We go on holidays soon and I would love to wear them then - only in the evening though.

Are there any contra indications /

thanks a lot for any response
Clivia
Mike Bartolatz

Re: contact lenses

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

yes, usually you don't wear contacts but wait at least 15 minutes after instilling meds before putting them in. your contact case should be replaced every 90 days as well as any cleaning or other solutions because they can become contaminated. this is what anyone wearing contacts should do but a uveitis patient has to be very careful because when steroids are used, the eye can become infected very easily. use a sterilizing solution on your hands before touching your eyes. you will be in places that are unclean such as bathrooms etc. so carry sterilizer and use it frequently. if on an airplane and on oral steroids or DMARD drugs, use a medical grade mask to protect yourself. the fold down table and any books in the back of the seat are handled by many individuals who contaminate them. use the sterilizing solution to wipe down the tray.
if you do touch them clean your hands before touching your face, eyes, mouth etc.
I get sick 7 to 10 days after flying and I still use these precaution when traveling. if you touch the tip of eye drops, get a new one a because the steroid solution can easily become contaminated and bacteria grow easily in this medium.

take care,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz