eye gate

Addtional information on drugs and medications.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

summerleek

eye gate

Post by summerleek »

Has anyone heard of the Eye Gate? It's a brand new noninvasive iontophoretic drug delivery system, that is currently under study at OHSU. I am debating whether to partake, but the lack of knowledge scares me... Will the higher dose of steroid potentially raise pressures and create Cataracts earlier? Or will I be avoiding the long term drops that are potentially causing the same amount of damage??

Any insight would be wonderful!

Thank you.

Summer
(34 year old Female, Anterior Uveitis sufferer of 2+ years, 6 flare ups so far.)
Mike Bartolatz

Re: eye gate

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

I don't know but so far one visit and the inflammation is gone from earlier trials. I don't think the dose is all that much compared to steroid injections so if I were you I'd go for this new approach to treatment. the use of steroids has a cumulative effect so if recurrent iritis or uveitis is in your own situation this would most likely be the way to go. for some, corticosteroid implants are used which are guaranteed to cause cataracts and in many individuals glaucoma. I don't know how deeply this proceedure penetrates into the eye. ask about this from Dr Suhler or Dr Rosenbaum and get back to us. they should be able to answer all of your questions too about potential side effects. nothing has been published on this topic as the clinical trial is ongoing at this time.

Wishing you quiet eyes,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz
summerleek

Post by summerleek »

Well, I had my first Eye Gate treatment yesterday... I decided to join the study, even though I had reservations about the unapproved steroid being used, and the treatment itself. The study is double-blind, so I am not sure which is the placebo- steroid in the Eye Gate or the drops- but after going in with a mid range inflammation (13 cells) my eye was noticeably clearer and less sore after the one Eye Gate treatment. I am to remain on drops 8 x daily (due to the double blind study) and return next week for the second of 5 Eye Gate treatments.

The procedure involves placing a circular plastic tube with a sponge at the bottom of it inside your lids and onto the surface of the eye for just under 3 minutes. The device is hooked to a pad that sticks to the forehead and a low voltage electrical current causes the steroid in the sponge to be delivered directly to the eye, so more is absorbed than in taking eye drops.

I think this procedure would be a great alternative for injections, but I'm not sure if it's better than drops. The benefit I could see would be if I am receiving less steroid through the Eye Gate than with drops, and the convenience could be nice... But I'm not convinced just yet I'd go through this every flare, especially since it was extremely uncomfortable for me, and the eye was painful for the rest of the day.

I meet with Dr. Rosenbaum and receive my next treatment next week, so will keep you posted in case anyone is curious.

Summer
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Summer,
Please keep us informed as you are the first person to post here about this. Hopefully this treatment will stop the recurrent nature of your uveitis.

wish you the best,
mike
Mike Bartolatz
summerleek

Post by summerleek »

After about 4 days of no symptoms from the first treatment, some sensitivity and soreness had returned, and when I went in for my second treatment I was actually at 3+. This is also how I was told the other person from OHSU that is in the study also reacted though, so I was hopeful that the second treatment would quiet the eye for good.

After 4 days, it was back, and this time very painful. Even though I am now at just low 1 inflammation, the flare up is not gone, as it should have been after the second treatment. (I hear the other gentleman's is gone and has not returned)

Back on Pred drops, every 2 hours. Aggressive treatment for my stubborn eye.

The study did not work for me in the long run, but I am glad I was able to assist in the learning process. Perhaps with revisions based on this study, it will be a great treatment option! We will see...
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

I can't recall if you know of an underlying cause for your stubborn uveitis. have all pathogens been ruled out such as viral causes or bacterial causes or systemic autoimmune or autoinflammatory conditions? if in only one eye, has the herpes simplex virus that causes cold sores on the mouth or nose been ruled out? could H pylori be present which can cause anterior uveitis as well as GI problems of stomach ulcers etc?

just a thought,
mike
Mike Bartolatz