I think my Iritis has returned...I am freaking out...

Post here to exchange iritis general information and support with others.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

crissy82

I think my Iritis has returned...I am freaking out...

Post by crissy82 »

I just noticed that my left eye is red on the interior side. I don't have any pain or sensitivity to light. I have had two bouts of Iritis within the past 5 years. No known cause. I am so scared that it is back again. I have never wanted it to come back. I am been under a lot of stress the past two months. Can stress cause it? I am scared that I have some underlying condition that is causing it. I have had horribly anxiety since the first time I had it. So scared of what might be going on in my body. And here I am again. Please help.
Mike Bartolatz

Re: I think my Iritis has returned...I am freaking out...

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

first of all CALM DOWN, this isnt the end of the World. you know the symptoms of iritis and you can get in to see a doctor.

yes STress seems to be able to trigger renewed inflammation as it can produce inflammatory chemicals that are present in underlying disease and with uveitis.

it is impossible for us to say if you have a new bout of inflammation but if the redness starts at the corner of the eye and extends toward the iris without touching the iris, it is probably NOT iritis. you may have conjunctivitis or you may have scratched the conjunctiva on the inside of yoru eye. usually conjunctitis is on both sides of the eye starting at the outside corners and proceeding toward the iris.
even red eye that starts near the iris can be not related to uveitis/iritis but corneal or limbal inflammation instead in some individuals.

if you have some lubricating eyedrops try putting them in until you can be evaluated by an ophthalmologist. call the ophthalmologist and get an appointment. it' sounds like it has been awhile since your last checkup. you may need an antibiotic if it is related to conjunctivitis or blepharitis causing the crusties.

if you haven't been tested for the HLA B27 gene and you have insurance, get tested if you haven't been as it is the most common link to iritis and autoimmune disease processes. but remember YOU MAY NEVER GET ANYTHING BUT IRITIS OR IRIDOCYCLITIS WITH THE HLA B27 gene.

you might discuss your anxiety issues with your doctors. I have an anxiety disorder and take meds.

Wish you the best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz
LauraP

Post by LauraP »

So sorry you are going thought this. I have a long history of dry eye, but ever since I had iritis I get so anxious about my dry eye symptoms because I am afraid they are indicative of another bout of iritis. Please go to an ophthalmologist as soon as possible because the anxiety over your possible diagnosis will also stress your body. Plus, if it is iritis the sooner you begin treatment the better to control the inflammation. I was told to take ibruprophen (400 mg 3x per day) not only for the pain of iritis but also to reduce inflammation so perhaps you could do this while you wait to see your doctor.
crissy82

Post by crissy82 »

I got an emergency appointment with my opthamologist. It is not Iritis. Just allery related. Thank God! I am so scared of autoimmune diseases. I have had horrible health anxiety since my first bout of Iritis. I have a fear that the doctors will find something. MS and Lupus are my biggest fears.
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Laura,
you might ask your doctor if you can take Naproxen instead of Ibuprofen. Ibuprofen doesn't work as well in quieting uveitis inflammation.

Crissy,
I do understand the anxiety issue but you have to try to calm down with this stuff. you know to get in for an evaluation and your patient relationship with an ophthalmologist should allow you immediate access to make sure the iritis isn't flaring. ask that a note be put in your file indicating that you need immediate appointment should you suspect iritis or other complicating factors are present. My doctors have done this for me and it tells the 'gate keeper' to back off and let you through.

take care,
mike
Mike Bartolatz
crissy82

Post by crissy82 »

Thanks Mike. I am sure I am not the only one that Iritis has affected in this way. The first time it happened they put me through a bunch of tests and everything came back normal. I have never seen a rheumatologist though. I just saw my PCP who ran all the tests. Now everytime any little thing happens in my body I automatically associate it with autoimmune diseases. And it spirls out of control into major panic and anxiety. I have been on a two month episode right now. My body aches everywhere, upset stomach, the whole nine yards. I've lost like 35 pounds because I haven't had an appetite. But my doctor keeps saying it is just anxiety causeing everything. Should I ask to see a rheumatologist? I just don't know what to do anymore.
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

I think you need to see a psychologist and get the anxiety and panic attacks addressed, then see a rheumatologist so he can't blame everthing on 'it's all in your head'.
as i said. I too would freakout when my vision would change and they couldn't do anything about it until the uveitis was controlled.
I am on Anxiety and antidepressant meds to this day. It's the only way I can calm myself down and get sleep.

I had a medical appointment today and I was really worked up internally last night so I didn't sleep well. I am a brittle diabetic and I have been working with a new Doctor within the Veteran's administraton Hospital, and Endocrinologist to get an Insulin pump approved. believe it or not, the VA hasn't had these machines before. I am one of the first ones to get it approved. they don't even have the peripheral stuff for them worked out yet and this stuff is VERY expensive for monthly supplies that I must have. I may have to get some of it through Medicare as durable medical supplies but some of it may not be covered which would suck.
it's tough figuring out if I can afford copays for this stuff. today I take 12 medications a day. some multiple times a day. if I have to add the cost of continuous glucose monitoring equipment that is disposable I don't know how I could afford it.
so I am pretty anxious at the moment as my serum glucose is very difficult to control. I get a lot of very low readings which is very dangerous.
I have been in the ER twice in the past year for low glucose levels. they finally approved an Emergency Dextose injection kit to carry with me at all times. I just got it and have to get training for my wife to use it if I go into a diabetic coma from too little serum glucose.

Take care,
mike
Mike Bartolatz
crissy82

Post by crissy82 »

I started seeing a psychologist about 6 weeks ago. I am on Zoloft and I have an anxiety med that I am on right now. But I am almost out and he doesn't want to keep me on it because it can become addictive. I am on it just until the Zoloft kicks in. Which I don't think it has yet. I am trying to work through all of my fears. I am going to see if my doctor will refer me to a rheumatologist. I am just so tired of going through the episodes of panic and fear. And pain. Anxiety causes your body to go crazy.
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

you are so right about anxiety and depression and it's impact on pain etc. when you are 'happy' you forget about your pain to a great degree and get on with your life. I am in constant pain and have found neurontin a drug for seizures and peripheral neuropathy to help alot with it.
it takes the edge off of it and I can get on with living.

I hope this drug kicks in soon for you. if not, see if there is something else you can take.

Wish you the best,
mike
Mike Bartolatz