HLA-B27 and iritis

Please introduce yourself to others by posting a brief note here. This serves as an archive for the site and helps us keep track of our many participants' situations. You will not get replies to posts placed here. To interact with others, go to the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS area of this website.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

sts

HLA-B27 and iritis

Post by sts »

I just found this site and have found it helpful so far! Nice to know I'm not alone.

I'm 42 and have a flare of iritis about 2-6 times a year since age 26. Luckily now I can feel it coming on before it's too severe, so treat with pred forte for about 1 1/2 month taper. Back in the day I was treated with shots of prednisone in the eye and if that didn't work, oral prednisone. It's so frustrating though, as I like to consider myself healthy and feel so vulnerable to this and how it affects my ability to do my job.

At age 20 I was found to be HLA-B27 positive (loose diagnosis of Ankylosing spondylitis or reactive arthritis). About 3 years ago a new rheumatologist said it's more likely Spondyloarthropathy. Sed rate was good at that time.

Other autoimmune disorders I have include hypothyroid (just diagnosed this month) and eczema/annulare granuloma (10 years).

I'm just so tired of this....
Mike Bartolatz

Re: HLA-B27 and iritis

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

First of all welcome to the group!
has anyone suggested a trial of Celebrex to stop systemic inflammation and then also keep the uveitis quited down.
the repeated bouts of inflammation and steroids will start causing problems for you at some point. have they done An OCT scan to look for mild Cystoid macular edema?

so far you have been pretty fortunate in not developing cataract or glaucoma from the use of steroids. today a steroid sparing approach to treatment is tried when uveitis keeps coming back the way it dose with your HLA B27 spondyloarthropathy and uveitis.

take care,
mike
Mike Bartolatz