Which tapering off cycle do you prefer ?

Post here to exchange iritis general information and support with others.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Seeker

Which tapering off cycle do you prefer ?

Post by Seeker »

I'm quite aware there are several tapering off method of the prednisolone.

There's the every seven days tapering off

there's the all of a sudden, no need, no more tapering off

There's a crude way where from every hour pred forte to every three or every four hours

is there really just one way or several ways ?

thanks mike
Mike Bartolatz

Re: Which tapering off cycle do you prefer ?

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

I am not a doctor so I can't tell you how much or when to take your meds as I would then be 'practicing medicine'

a VERY slow taper of off corticosteroids provides the best means of keep uveitis from coming right back.
One NEVER goes off steroids of any kind cold turkey unless they are causing an allergic response that is life threatening.
if one is on oral steroids the taper has to be slow as well. going off cold turkey could literally kill you as the body has been shut down from making cortisol and then the steroids that replace it are no longer there and a major reaction can occur.

as long as the doctor is monitoring what is going on with the eyes as you taper off, so that if you reach a point where you are tapering and the inflammation has unknowingly returned, he/she can immediatly increase dose.
hopefully another class of drugs will be used if this happens to help quiet the eyes,

mike
Mike Bartolatz
Seeker

Post by Seeker »

Thanks Mike

got question: If one is on pred forte for a month of every hour frequency, how would you taper that off ? (what would the ideal tapering off method for you ? )
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

it has been so long since I used topical steroid eyedrops, I can't recall. I was never on them for a year at a time either as I went to steroid injections and oral steroids.

ask your opthalmologist how to taper. all I recall is that the best results are obtained when one tapers very slowly,

mike
Mike Bartolatz
Hudsongrl

Post by Hudsongrl »

This topic is old, but i figured it might help someone else. I am currently tapering off oral prednisone and durezol for bilateral uveitis diagnosed nov. 23 rd. I started on 40 mg. oral pred for 1 week, then 20 mg. for 1 week, then tapering 2.5 mg each week until i am off. Slow taper helps ensure flare diesn't happen. With the durezol i was on 8 drops/ day for 2 weeks, then 6 drops for a week, then 5 for a week etc, currently on 2 drops/ daily and will go to 1 drop / daily next week and then off. Eyes currently quiet and praying for no relapse during the tapering. I see one ofbthe uveitis docs on the recommended list. He understands the importance of the slow taper. There are other " formulas" to come off steroids, but just wanted to share one example.
vancouver

Post by vancouver »

As mike said tapering is critical. You can't do it cold turkey. Tapering can also be used
As maintenance. Some people need up to two years of maintenance to lower chance of reoccurrence. I'm not sure when maintenance is called for. Past history of reoccurrence and
And presence of a few cells in ac? Celebrex might be best for maintenance according to Dr foster.
I'm not sure if everyone agrees with Dr foster about celebrex. Tapering is definitely an art.
Take what I say w grain of salt as I'm new to this.
Hudsongrl

Post by Hudsongrl »

I am still tapering. Off steroid drops and on 7.5 mg oral prednisone. It's taking firever to get off this stuff :(

Does anyone use an NSAID eye drop like Nevanac for maintenance?