1st time with uveitis , hadn't heard of it before diagnosis

Please introduce yourself to others by posting a brief note here. This serves as an archive for the site and helps us keep track of our many participants' situations. You will not get replies to posts placed here. To interact with others, go to the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS area of this website.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

simone

1st time with uveitis , hadn't heard of it before diagnosis

Post by simone »

Hello, my name is Simone and I'm from Australia.
One day out of the blue my right eye became very red I shrugged it off for a few days until it started to pain. I saw my GP the next day, he gave me antibiotic drop and some other drops. I used these drops he prescribed for about 4 days, the redness had improved and the pain wasn't as bad however I felt my eye still wasn't right. So I saw my GP again just in case. This time I informed him that it looked like everything was cloudy even though the redness and pain had reduced the cloudiness worried me. He called the local hospital and got me into see a opthalmologist that same day. I was hoping for him to say nothing wrong here. He diagnosed me with anterior uveitis in BOTH eyes.
I was shocked even though I had no idea what uveitis was. He perscribed me prednefrin forte drops to take every 2 hours & isopto homatropine drops for twice a day. He then sent me for stack of blood test (which I am really nervous about getting the results to as some of the things that can be found are scarey). He said to return to see him in a weeks time. Ever since my diagnosis I have been TRYING to read up & learn what ever I could, which was almost impossible with both of my eyes not being able to read anything (except if the writing was very large) my husband read out some information for me. It's very scarey having something you know very little about. I tried zooming in the text to 200% so I could at least read more but this is still very hard (luckily I can touch type or I wouldn't be able to write this). Before the diagnosis my eyes weren't really sensitive to light but they certainly are now, I couldn't leave the house until my hubby got me some really dark sunglasses. I also brought a magnifying glass so if there was something that I really needed to read I actually could. I hope my vision returns to normal when I can stop taking these drops, it feels terrible. 2 sleeps until I see the opthamologist again and hopefully after that appointment a lot will be clearer. One eye would of been much more managable, with both eyes it makes so many things difficult. I have read a lot information about uveitis on the net but I was so glad to find your site. Actually reading about others who have gone through similar experiences helps the most. Not sure if there is a support group in Australia but I guess it doesn't really matter where you are. Thank you so much, I'm sure you have helped many many people with your wisdom.
Mike Bartolatz

Re: 1st time with uveitis , hadn't heard of it before diagnosis

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

I'm glad we have been able to help you. your vision will most likely return to about where it was prior to the uveitis, especially once the dilating drop is discontinued once inflammation is stopped. until then keep the sunglasses on to protect your retina from sunlight with your eyes dilated. the photophobia may contiue after all of this quiets down.

you should get the results of the tests by your next appointment and then we can discuss findings.
join us in our GENERAL discussion forum when you want to ask anything. remember that nothing is too trivial to ask and that you are not alone.

take care,
mike
Mike Bartolatz