Introduction of a New Member

Please introduce yourself to others by posting a brief note here. This serves as an archive for the site and helps us keep track of our many participants' situations. You will not get replies to posts placed here. To interact with others, go to the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS area of this website.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

kathyk

Introduction of a New Member

Post by kathyk »

Hello Everyone,

I just joined and wanted to introduce myself. I am a 45 year old female living in the Oklahoma City area. I have had ongoing inflammation, pain, redness and blurring in both of my eyes since November 9, 2011. I was treated at a walk-in clinic while on vacation for conjunctivitis. Things did not improve so I saw an opthamologist back home. He treated me with steroid drops to be used 4 times daily. I am still not better. My eyes are tired and red and sore all the time. Sometimes it seems like they get better for a day or 2 but then go back to being red. I have a hard time reading or doing computer work because my eyes are tired all the time and I have been getting more headaches. I also have been getting hives or some sort of strange rash since August. I am wondering if this has anything to do with my eye problems or if it is just a coincidence. Should I ask my opthamologist for a referral to an ocular immunologist in the OKC are. I also as of late have developed cold sores on my mouth occasionally. I have never had these before either. Thanks for your help and guidance. My husband is a family practice doctor and he thinks I may have iritis so that is why I am here. He says something is definitely not right and so I am making another appointment with the opthamologist today.
Mike Bartolatz

Re: Introduction of a New Member

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Welcome to the group!
skin rashes are often a symptom of various disease processes many of which are linked to uveitis.
where were you while on Vacation? some things are caused by various bacteria, viruses etc. Cold sores caused by the herpes Sx virus are linked to iritis but this only occurs in one eye not both.
other things cause mouth sores that are linked to uveitis as well some of them are autoimmune in nature. the Closest ocular immunologists are in Kansas City or in Denver. tell me which would be easiest to travel to and I'll provide contact informaton for you. Joseph Tauber is in Kansas City and there are two in Denver, DR Eric letko and I can't recall the name of the other but I can get it for you.
we have to get you on other meds as you aren't responding to the pred forte. steroids are not the only way to treat. a corticosteroid sparing approach is needed but one has to determine what is causing the rash and mouth sores. a dermatologist and oral surgeon might be able to tell what they are caused by.

Take care,
mike
Mike Bartolatz