Just saying hi

Please introduce yourself to others by posting a brief note here. This serves as an archive for the site and helps us keep track of our many participants' situations. You will not get replies to posts placed here. To interact with others, go to the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS area of this website.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

jen9984

Just saying hi

Post by jen9984 »

Hi all

I've recently joined the forums so thought I would introduce myself and share my own experiences of iritis.

I've now had 3 flare ups in the past 18 months. The first came on the day I completed my research degree in May 2010, just weeks before I was due to move house. It was a persistent case and the stress of trying to deal with it while moving across the country (and moving from a very efficient and understanding eye dept. to one that was the opposite) nearly finished me off! It finally settled in Oct 2010 after a combination of steroid drops, injections and tablets.

I then had another flare up in March of this year, which again was fairly aggressive (needing an injection to settle) but which abated after a couple of months of drops. After this flare up I was diagnosed as HLA-B27+.

My third came in August, which was another persistent case - incredibly red and painful. This time I had the usual drops and injection, although I found over the counter NSAIDs to be very effective in treating the symptoms.

So, I'm very much an iritis beginner, and just trying to figure out how to manage the condition long term and look at alternatives to being "patched up" with steroids every time it happens. Looking forward to learning more from your own experiences.

Nice to meet you all 8)
Mike Bartolatz

Re: Just saying hi

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

jen, Welcome to the group!

HLA B27 iritis can 'ping pong' between eyes. it can be very difficult to quiet down and it frequently acts exactly as you describe and it responds to NSAIDS.
the thing you must do to treat it successfully with NSAIDS is to use them at prescription strength, monitored as to impact on body systems like liver, kidneys, heart etc. this is done for TWO YEARS in order to retrain the immune system to stop attacking your eyes. if during this two year period uveitis returns, then you have to switch to another class of medication such as methotrexate to retrain the immune system.
the best NSAIDs to use are Celebrex, Difusinal and Naproxen. Celebrex blocks COX1 and COX2 while the others only block COX1.

no one can respond to your post here at the introduction forum so please continue this conversation in the GENERAL discussion forum. click on BOARD INDEX in Bold print top left on this page to be redirected. then open a new thread.

wish you the very best,
mike
Mike Bartolatz