Mother of a 4 year old diagnosed with Uveitis

Please introduce yourself to others by posting a brief note here. This serves as an archive for the site and helps us keep track of our many participants' situations. You will not get replies to posts placed here. To interact with others, go to the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS area of this website.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Tanya

Mother of a 4 year old diagnosed with Uveitis

Post by Tanya »

Hello

My son was diagnosed with Uveitis in January this year. His pupils had changed shape so much that they said he had it for a long time. We just never new. When he did get symptoms our GP said it was an eye infection and sent us away. Our boy suffered for another few weeks until we atteneded Moorfields Eye Hospital emergency room where we got a proper diagnosis. Steriods later ands we were given the all clear only to be back in the emergency room two days later with a flare up. To be fair, I am here to try and get as much information and support as possible. His immune system is fine and they can give no explantion as to why this is happening. Only that its not going to go away. Any information would be most appreciated. I worry for his sight. Thank you as I am so new to all this. tanya
Mike Bartolatz

Re: Mother of a 4 year old diagnosed with Uveitis

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Welcome to the group!
uveitis in very young children can be extremely difficult to get controlled. I strongly urge you to seek treatment through Professor William Ayliffe there in London. he can get your child to 'off all steroids without inflammation' using MODERN treatment of uveitis. in my Lay opinion professor Ayliffe is the BEST Opthalmologist/ocular immunologist in All of the UK.
your child may have to go on DMARD drugs such as methotrexte to treat his immune system which is systemically attacking your child. the sooner he goes on treatment the better the long term outcome for vision. there is an ONLINE support group for parents of kids with uveitis, many of whom have kids that have/had uveitis as young as 3 years old. Renee' is the Facilitator of the Parent's forum along with Glenn Miller MD who's daughter also had uveitis and both kids have quiet eyes at this time. the journey wasn't without bumps in the road though for Renee' and her daughter Alexa and Alexa had surgery and just about every med known to treat uveitis before a combination of meds was found. Today Alexa sees very well. at one time doctors said she would be blind and there was nothing that could be done for her. I sent Renee to the East coast of the USA to see Dr Foster who implemented Modern treatment which saved Alexa's vision.
contact information for Professor Ayliffe can be found at the Parent's section of http://www.uveitis.org the website of the Ocular Immunology and Uveitis Foundation here in the USA. I also moderate forums at http://www.uosg.org the online support groups where the Parent's forum is located.
DR Foster is founder of the Foundation as well as a professor of Ocular Immunology at Harvard Medical School.

please join us in the Paren'ts forum at this site too where I have put allot of information. I've also put together information at http://www.parsplanitis.org which also has a forum for parents

wishing you and your child the very best,
Mike Bartolatz
Mike Bartolatz