Hello from West Virginia!

Please introduce yourself to others by posting a brief note here. This serves as an archive for the site and helps us keep track of our many participants' situations. You will not get replies to posts placed here. To interact with others, go to the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS area of this website.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

odogoodgrubb

Hello from West Virginia!

Post by odogoodgrubb »

Recently developed anterior uveitis in my left eye, in September 2010. Underwent typical treatment for a couple months until it cleared up. It has since recurred, with minor/moderate flare-ups about every 10-14 days, and just last week a full-blown OUCH recurrence. In October I moved from Maryland to West Virginia, so am now in process of changing ophthamologists now that I have different insurance (new year). I am 36yrs old, HLA-B27 positive, and not sure if I have any related autoimmune disorders, but I doubt it. Looking forward to learning more!
Mike Bartolatz

Re: Hello from West Virginia!

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

welcome to the group.
you might ask if you can take an NSAID such as Celebrex, Dolobid or Naprosyn to see if it will calm down your immune system. it takes about six months to tell if it will help. then you would continue on the NSAID at prescription strenght for TWO YEARS to retrain your immune system to stop attacking your eyes by mistake. then if all goes well, you would then taper off of the NSAID.
the goal is off all steroids without inflammation for the two year period, this works in about 70 percent of Dr Foster's patients at the Ocular immunology and Uveitis foundation clinic, MERSI in Boston.
the closest true experts in getting you to remission are in DC and Maryland. Dr Nguyen is an excellent ocular immunologist in Baltimore.

wish you the very best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz