Iritis Treatmet Regimen in France...

Addtional information on drugs and medications.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Cushing2

Iritis Treatmet Regimen in France...

Post by Cushing2 »

Mike et al.,

I am HLA-B27 positive and had recurrent (@3x/year) iritis for 20 years. In the USA I have always beaten the episodes into remission using pred forte drops and the occasional dilating agent.
Now I am in France for school year and, as often occurs every November, my left eye started acting up. So I made my way to a French Opthalmologist this afternoon and, confirming that I did have a mild case (which always becomes an extreme case with me if I'm not aggressive with treatment), he set me up with a regiment that I would appreciate someone's input on. the doctor I saw understands that I am HLA-B27 positive.

Now, the regimen:

CHIBROXINE collyre - one drop 6x/day for 8 days. (Note: This appears to be an antibiotic. I have never before been prescribed an antibiotic for iritis.)
STREDEX - 2x/day for 10 days. (Note: This is a creme that I put on my eye that appears to contain a steroid and another antibiotic. The two active drugs (in french) are : Dexaméthasone and Oxytétracycline.)
DACRYOSERUM 20u - 2x/day for 30 days. (Note: This is essentially an eyewash that they want me to use prior to using the CHIBROXINE.)

Any view would be appreciated. After 20 years of this recurrent scourge I am scared to death to change my treatment protocol!
Please note that I hold nobody here liable for anything whatsoever so any views anyone expresses to me have no liability (with me) attached to them.

Cushing2
PS- I will try to post this on Dr. Foster's forum as well.
Mike Bartolatz

Re: Iritis Treatmet Regimen in France...

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

you would have to explore reasons for antibiotics along with steroids. do you have blepharitis present that might explain the use of the antibiotic?

any suggestion of NSAID therapy which might break the cycle of inflammation?

since you saw Dr foster in the past, email him privately indicating when your appointment was so that he can look you up in his charts and then he might be able to suggest more and answer your questions. he doesn't respond to patient questions in his ASK DR FOSTER forum as this is priviledged information.
he can work with your local doctors. he is fluent in French by the way.

wish you the best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz