Iritis and Stress

Please introduce yourself to others by posting a brief note here. This serves as an archive for the site and helps us keep track of our many participants' situations. You will not get replies to posts placed here. To interact with others, go to the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS area of this website.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Hugh Ferguson

Iritis and Stress

Post by Hugh Ferguson »

Hi

My name is Hugh Ferguson, 70 and retired but doing voluntary work. I was diagnosed with iritis 5 years ago. By the time I was admitted to hospital the symptoms had progressed from inflamation, bloodshot appearance and blurred vision to complete loss of vision.

Using a drip feed antibiotic and eye drops the hospital docs restored the vision within about 30 hours, which was fantastic, but since then the symptoms have never completely cleared up

Using the prescribed antibiotic tablets and steroid eye drops helps but I would really love to get back to normal if possible, mainly because I'm due a medical for the LGV license I use in our charity work

One doctor who treated me believed that there is a connection with stress (as you mention in your site) She tried some hypnotherapy which helped tremedously, but the only way to continue that treatment would be to go privately and at £90 per treatment and that was not possible for me

Do you know of any treatment / tablet / whatever, which might give some relief?

Thank you for your time and a big thanks for setting up this site!

Hugh
Mike Bartolatz

Re: Iritis and Stress

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Hugh,
where are you located? if in the UK, Professor Ayliffe is highly recommended in London and prof. Murray in Bristol as well.
unless there is a known bacterium causing the uveitis that is useless as a treatment. if initial treatment 'eliminated' the pathogen, then the renewed inflammation would be an autoimmune response requiring additional steroid treatment or other classes of drugs depending on frequency or length of time the inflammation is present.
although uveitis occurs almost as freqently in older individuals, unless it is caused by a pathogen, additional tests for a 'masquerade syndrome' should be done. some cancers for example can cause inflammation which resembles that of uveitis and this would determine treatment options.
I wish there was a cheap way of treating uveitis. avoiding stress if at all possible can help prevent immune system activity from causing renewed inflammation.

please join us for continued discussion in our General discussion forum. ask any questions you may have. Please know that your are not alone.

wishing you the very best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz