thrity years with Iritis

Please introduce yourself to others by posting a brief note here. This serves as an archive for the site and helps us keep track of our many participants' situations. You will not get replies to posts placed here. To interact with others, go to the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS area of this website.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

cara caico

thrity years with Iritis

Post by cara caico »

Hi,

I was first diagnosed at thirteen years old. At the time I was diagnosed with Anterior Iritis. I was told to be sure to adhere to the dosage and wear a yellow tinted pair of sunglasses when in the sun. Oh and by the way this can cause blindness if not taken care of. Well, now thirty years later that Optomologist has pasted away and one more after him. Now after about three years with my current doctor and probably fifteen or more bouts with Iritis over thirty years, he is concerned. So now he is asking for a chest x-ray, tine test and many other blood tests for all kinds of scary things.

I'm not sure why but after the first few times I now can diagnose myself extremely early. The doctor is amazed that I feel it so early. I get a strange achy muscle pain, then my eye feels very tired. After a week or so of Prednisolone Acetate four times a day it goes away, until ...sometimes six months other times years later.

After reading through this site I could not believe how many believe have such varied experiences. I only wish this was here in 1980.

Any feedback regarding my experince with Iritis would be welcome.
I pray for all of you/us.

Cara Caico
Westchester County, New York
Mike Bartolatz

Re: thrity years with Iritis

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Cara,
Please consider an evaluation by a true expert in the diagnosis and treatment of recurrent and chronic uveitis.
I don't know where you live in NY but there are several of these highly specialized opthalmologists that I can recommend for you. DR C Michael Samson in NYC is very good. Dr Foster in Cambridge MA is the BEST OCULAR IMMUNOLOGIST in the World. DR Chu in NJ is very good as well.
many individuals with iritis can tell that a bout is about to present weeks before the opthalmologist can see it on slit lamp examination. usually discomfort is the first symptom or photophobia is present before a red eye occurs.

I too wish there was the internet available to me in 1980 to find out about MODERN treatment of uveitis through a steroid sparing approach to treatment which can put this stuff into REMISSION before changes inside the eye occur which can lead to preventable blindness. contact information for the above doctors can be found in the PATIENT INFORMATION section of http://www.uveitis.org

sadly too many opthalmologists do not refer to experts and people lose vision unnecessarily.

wishing you the very best.
mike
Mike Bartolatz