Epstein Barr Virus

Post here with questions about other autoimmune diseases or conditions.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

KarenL61

Epstein Barr Virus

Post by KarenL61 »

I had mentioned this in my introductory post but I wanted to ask here,,,,,Does anyone know if there is a connnection between the Epstein Barr virus and iridocyclitis?? Trying to find clues as to how my eyes got like this. I am sdue back at the docs on Monday and would like to be able to offer my theories.
Thank you!

Karen 8)
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=EB ... gle+Search

I can't say specifically one wayor another on this topic, the research goes both ways. It wouldn't surpirse me however as other Herpes family viruses are directly causal in uveitis. what I am concerned mostly about at this moment is the Glaucoma which has developed so quickly in a first case of uveitis. is this from the corticosteroids or is there anterior synechiae which has caused angle closure glaucoma to occur or posterior synechiae which has caused glaucoma as well?
Herpes viruses often cause allot of synechiae and Keratic precipitates .

Wish you the very best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz
KarenL61

Post by KarenL61 »

This came on very quickly and caused the glaucoma (pressure was 55-58 in less than 24 hours and before medication). The blurriness seems to be decreasing and should go away (from what I am told )when the infection clears up. On Monday, my KP number was 3 plus-4, pressure 18-20. My angles are clear and there is no retinal detachment. The doc has been monitoring both eyes just in case but only the right seems to be affected. I will be seeing him again on Monday. The blood tests for VD and syphilis came back negative so we shall see what happens on Monday. He has talked about running chest x-rays etc,,, but I still think it is the darn EBV.

Karen
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

I don't know if the antiviral meds work with epstein Barr related uveitis. I'll do some checking.

Mike
Mike Bartolatz
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

http://books.google.com/books?id=7cmqzB ... #PPA151,M1

above is a chapter from a book on treatment of uveitis, the herpetic viral chapter which indicates contraindications with EBV uveitis.

I sent a note to Dr Foster to see what you should do and will get back to you if he can clarify this issue for us.

wish you the very best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

is there any possibility that the Herpes sx or herpes Zoster viruses could be the cause of your rapidly progressing uveitis complicated very quickly with glaucoma?
if the answer could be yes, then antiviral meds should be started right away to stop this before major loss of vision ensues. I'm not a doctor but I have seen several individuals with rapidly progressing herpes related uveitis end up with permanent vision loss from glaucoma or from acute retinal necrosis. this can be miminimized with rapid antiviral meds such as valacyclovir, aycacyclovir or famavir either orally or via IV.

wish you the very best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz
KarenL61

Post by KarenL61 »

I cannot think of any way that I may have contracted either. I know that Herpes zoster causes shingles and I don't have that. I cannot think of a way that I would have Herpes sx either. I am faithfully applying my drops to keep that pupil dilated.

Karen
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

I pray for the best outcome possible and hope that it isn't the EBV virus complicating your vision as it is very difficult to treat. occasionally Gancyclovir is used but it is a crap shoot. you seem to be responding to the corticosteroid treatment so perhaps it is the sinus infection that has caused this to occur through an autoimmune reaction and not a direct pathogen infection of the eye.

wish you the very best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz