HLA-B27 Laymans terms

Post here with questions about other autoimmune diseases or conditions.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

heatherknc

HLA-B27 Laymans terms

Post by heatherknc »

Hey there,
I have not been on in a while. Sorry, no particular reason. You were wonderful at the start and then I guess I got tied up in the "diagnosis" However, I had my spectrum of blood tests and the b&%&ch of it is, the HLA came back as "not collected" Apparently after the hoops I already jumped through to make the doc take me seriously, the head phlebot only collects those sorts of tests on Friday. (apparently all the other phlebots are unaware of this) After all the frustration and arguments, I go where I know, and I look to you for help. My ANA was Negative, CBC great, RA Negative, but that pesky little HLA was not collected. So with deepest regret for staying away so long, I ask you, is that the one I need to go back and fight for? Much thanks.
Heather
Heather
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

HLA B27 is one of the genetic markers related to uveitis. there are others as well but even if you are negative the treatment is about the same anyway.
the stepladder approach is what would be needed if all pathological causes are ruled out and there are no symptoms of associated autoimmune disease. the next 'step' would to try ORAL NSAIDS such as Celebrex, Dolobid, naprosyn or feldene UNDER THE CARE OF A PHYSICIAN so that organ function can be monitored.

do you have underlying symptoms such as arthritis, vascular disease, skin rashes or central nervous system dysfunction? do autoimmune disease processes occur within your blood relatives? have you ever had a sexually transmitted disease. Lyme diseaes, toxoplasmosis, toxocardia, fungal disease etc?

this would be the things to think about and investigate if they haven't been mentioned or addressed if you have had one of them.

not all people with the HLA B27 gene get uveitis, only about 6% or so get it.
there are other things needed along with the gene to end up with arthritis or uveitis.

wish you some relief,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz