Are these sympptons related to my bouts of iritis??

Post here with questions about other autoimmune diseases or conditions.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Sandra

Are these sympptons related to my bouts of iritis??

Post by Sandra »

Its been 10 months since visiting you, after my last bout of iritis in my right eye, and ending up with the dreaded steroid injections, but can you possibly tell me if the following condition that I currently have is anything to do with my complaint. (I have had 6-7 quite severe attacks in both eyes over the last 20 years, the right one more often)
The last 3-4 weeks, my right eye has felt as though there is a slight film over it, even though I can't see anything in the mag mirror, accompanied by a kind of spasm/contraction every now and then. On waking, there is a usual dull ache behind the eye which disappears after a short time. Although not anywhere near as painful as Iritis, I am aware of it most of the day, and it is not getting any better. I also feel that the sight in this eye has slightly deteriorated. I am due to visit my GP in 6 days, as my consultants secretary said I would need a referral from GP, as this was not Iritis, and therefore not an emergency. Any help prior to visiting GP would be most welcome.
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

I only know of a couple of things that might cause pain behind the eye. one is posterior scleritis and the other is orbital tumor. imaging using B Scan ultra sound can sshow either one.

Od you have dry eyes? the thickened film over the cornea can compromise vision until it is removed by repeated blinking and addition of moisture. you miight try using some lubricating eye drops to see if this diminishes.

poor tear film quality definitely effects vision.
if this is the case, see if you could be tested for a couple of thing. sjogren's syndrome and Lupus as well as Sarcoidosis. all three have severe dry eyes as components. there are specific markers that can be looked for in your blood. these things can also be related to forms of both posterior and anterior scleritis.

wish you the very best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz
Sandra

Post by Sandra »

Thankyou - I am not experiencing any dry eye, or indeed, severe pain (have just looked up Posterior Scleritis), just a continued sensation of a film over the eye and an irritating spasm/tic, with a dull ache.
Will ensure that GP sends me to my usual eye consultant to investigate further.
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

please let us know what the opthalmologist finds. eye pain is not normal and I would think that that would be cause to expedite an appointment. change of vison should also expedite an appointment with an individual with a history of difficult to control uveitis. things can change in the poserior segment of the eye from the long term effects of uveitis and can only be seen by the opthalmologist through his specialized tools like the slit lamp etc. your GP would have no clue what these could be as he/she has not training or means of seeing them.

wish you the very best,.
Mike
Mike Bartolatz