Conjunctival Lymphangiectasia

Post here with questions about other autoimmune diseases or conditions.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

bgordon

Post by bgordon »

After months of trying to figure out what is wrong with my eyes, an ocular oncologist, told me that I have conjunctival lymphangiectasia. It is a benign condition that cannot really be treated. All I can do is avoid triggers that make my eyes red. Has anyone heard of this ? Also, I would like to get my blood vessels caurterized if possible. Has anyone ever done this? I do not like walking around looking like I am tired and sick. I am a woman who is out in the public a lot and it is very distressing to appear like I have been crying all day.
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

was this tested to see if it was related to amyloidosis? I did a little google search and saw that the conjunctiva can be surgically removed but that seems a bit severe to me and could compromise the eye to possible infection. you might ask Dr Foster about surgical management ot the condition at http://www.uveitis.org
this is way out of our normal range of discussion at this forum.

Wish you 'white eye ' days,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz
bgordon

Conjunctival problem

Post by bgordon »

Thanks for getting back to me. I will ask Dr. Foster.

Sincerely,
Bgordon
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

I hope that something can be done for you so keep us posted.

Take care,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

I saw Dr Foster's response to your question and surgery sounds possible and the best route to go. perhaps you could see him in Cambridge, MA for consultation and surgery at MERSI where he practices. he does such types of surgery as do others within his practice.
you can get contact information from his site at http://www.uveitis.org

wish you the very best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz
bgordon

thanks

Post by bgordon »

Dear Mike,

Thanks so much for writing back to me. I have an appointment for March 23rd in Boston. I am from Philadelphia, so I hope I can have follow up care in Philadelphia too. I have the condition in both eyes , so I want it removed from one eye at a time.

I am really nervous.
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

you will do just fine, the advantage of having Dr Foster look at your eye is that he can confirm the diagnosis when he sees you. He is a superb surgeon as well as the top ocular immunologist in the World.

Tell him Hello from me too!

good luck and please keep us posted,
mike
Mike Bartolatz
bgordon

Post by bgordon »

Greetings! I am scheduled to have surgery for the above condition on April 19th. I cannot have it done in Boston, but they do the same surgery in Philadelphia. The surgeon described it as removal of benign lesion and cryotherapy. I am not sure what that means, but I believe they have to resection the conjunctiva (remove it) and then it grows back without the lesions. I am really nervous about the surgery.
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

crytotherapy is freezihg of the blood vessels to stop the bleeding in your case. they will regrow a new conjunctivall membrane along with new blood vessels.

your's is the first case of this so we are anxious to see how you go through the surgery. I am glad that you have found a surgeon there in PA. so that you don't have to travel to Boston.

keep us updated and good luck,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz
bgordon

Thanks so much

Post by bgordon »

Dear Mike, Thanks so much for your warm support!!!

Would you happen to have an opinion on about how long it takes for the conjunctiva to reepithialize? (hope I spelled that correctly).
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

I have no Idea but I think doctor foster said a few weeks in his response to you. go back and double check.

Take care,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz
bgordon

conjunitval lymphangiestacia

Post by bgordon »

Hi Mike, I just wanted to let you know, that it turns out, medication was causing my red eyes and the hemorrhages. The medication is diflucan - and another medication is Evista. As soon as I want off the the two medications, my hemorrhages stopped. I haven't had one since March 2007. I didn't need the surgery afterall. Thanks again for all of your support.
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Boy it sure amazes me what various medications can cause. I am glad taht you found the cause and could correct it easily resulting in no need for surgery or the need to have to live with such a mess.

Take care,
mike
Mike Bartolatz
bgordon

conjunctival lymphangiestasia

Post by bgordon »

It really was an awful year trying to diagnose the problem. If it happens to anyone else, be sure to ask them if they take diflucan or Evista.
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Will do,
mike
Mike Bartolatz