new here medication ??

Addtional information on drugs and medications.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

tyinwyoming

new here medication ??

Post by tyinwyoming »

hello I am glad to have found this site,
I have had irities in my left eye for 2years and am now on two glaucoma medicines and methotrexate. I also take vexol 4 times a day and just yesterday my doc said to also take pred forte 2 times a day for a week to see if the iritis in my left eye will go down. My question is , does it make sence to use 2 iritis drops at the same time? has anyone had this experience.
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

what dose of Methotrexate are you on? it should have done some good by now at whatever dose you have been taking, if not, it should be increased or antother drug added or anther type of DMARD drug should be used, the goal is off all steroid without inflammation with the DMARD drugs, then you stay on them for two years and then slowly taper off.
the steroids are used in different forms to quell current inflammation. but something has to be done to get you off of them completely.

wish you the best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz
tyinwyoming

medicine ??

Post by tyinwyoming »

I have been on methotrexate for 2months but so far the iritis has stayed the same.(I get to, 2 drops a day of the vexol and the iritis comes back.) My doctor put me on vexol in Dec. 2007 to try to taper me off without the my IOP being effected anymore and also to see if my pressure will go down. however, the iritis has had no change. So he put me on methotrexatate 7mg a week and still no change. and now we are on pred forte again and vexol and everything else. I appreciate your response back by the way. thanks
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

7 mg a week taken orally is a very small dose. Dr Foster in Boston often boosts the dose after a few weeks until the uveitis is quiet. the goal is off all steroids without inflammation. are you taking a folic acid supplement to help with side effects? folic acid should be taken after about 12 hours or the next day to help restore the folic acid depleted from your system when Methotrexte is used.
if nausea becomes a problem, take a proton pump inhibitor type drug. you can now get it OTC at the drug store. if the dose starts going above 25 or so, you can ask to be switched to the INJECTIBLE MTX which has fewer side effects and less needs to be used. it is given under the skin into the fat such as in your abdomen like a diabetic takes his shots. other drugs such as Cellcept are availabe as well that work like MTX but have fewer side effects. sometimes other drugs like cyclosporine have to be added with the MTX or Cellcept to stop the inflammation.

Wish you quick resolution of this current bout of inflammation. remember that this is a long term effort, a minimum of 2 years once your eyes are quiet and only on the DMARD drug without corticosteroids.

wish you the best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz