newly diagnosed

Please introduce yourself to others by posting a brief note here. This serves as an archive for the site and helps us keep track of our many participants' situations. You will not get replies to posts placed here. To interact with others, go to the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS area of this website.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

nicola

newly diagnosed

Post by nicola »

I am recently diagnosed with iritis. I'm not sure quite how to feel about it other than confused, and a little frightened. I just got over an episode in January that followed a hysterectomy in late november, and have had another flare up yesterday. My eye doctor seems to feel I should wait for a few more flare ups before I see a doctor to test for any autoimmune disorders. While I don't have a family history of arthritis, one brother has ulcerative colitis and the other has iritable bowel syndrome. I have the occasional sore and stiff neck, but I've always atributed that to being overweight. I guess I'm just looking for someone to confirm what the doctor says about waiting to see if I have more problems, or should I push the issue and request additional testing??

Nicola
Mike Bartolatz

iritis and IBD

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Dear Nicola,
there is a link between iritis and Irritable Bowel disease. it can also be linked to forms of arthritis.

usually testing is done if iritis/anterior uveitis returns. with your family history of GI tract illness you might want to have your Primary care Physician test for the HLA B27 haplotype as it is related to the enteropahtic Arthropathies and Arthritis.
information can be found in our 'related conditions forum"

if you prove to be positive for HLA B27 related uveitis, there is special medication protocol which you can find in our ' Treatment algorithms' section of the related conditins forum.

wish you the best!
Sincerely,
Mike Bartolatz
Mike Bartolatz