Hi folks...

Please introduce yourself to others by posting a brief note here. This serves as an archive for the site and helps us keep track of our many participants' situations. You will not get replies to posts placed here. To interact with others, go to the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS area of this website.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

dawander

Hi folks...

Post by dawander »

I have had Iritis since I was 10. I am now 38. I average 3 to 4 flare-ups a year.. sometimes more but rarely less.. I currently live in Denver and work in education. I would be glad to answer any questions one might have since I am familiar with the symtoms. My vision is currently ok... After a flare-up however, it takes 15 to 20 days for my vision to come back to normal.. During that time, my vision is blurred and night driving is bothersome as the halo effect kicks in.. (fuzzy lighting around car lights, street lights, etc..) I had a severe flare up last night. dilating the pupil is a must for me.. It brings me the most comfort.. I also use pred-forte (steriod drop) to help as well.. However, if I don't take the drops as soon as I feel the syptoms starting, they tend not to work too well.. Any questions or thoughts would be appreciated..
Mike Bartolatz

iritis

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

you might want to print the brochure entitled, 'Uveitis: A Guide For Teachers and Parents.'

I have personally had uveitis for about 38 years having developed it when I was about 16. I am presently 54.
protein can accumulate on your lens and on your cornea during a bout of uveitis causing the 'halo' effect that you mention. the dilating drops and the steroid eye drops can do this too. dilating drops are used to prevent the iris from sticking to the lens, steroids are used to stop the inflammatory process. Depending on the type of uveitis that you have, other drugs might be in order. NSAIDS like Vioxx, Celebrex, Indomethecin, voltaren and Naprosyn have all shown some effect in reducing inflammation. what might work well for you is a trial and error type of thing.

did you develop any of the enteropathic arthropathies or seronegative spondyloarthropathies??

Any other systemic disease/autoimmune disease process going on?

while driving I use Dark green wrap around polarized sunglasses in Bright environments. brown during overcast days and yellow tinted driving glasses at night while as a passenger. the new 'blue' tinted headlights drive me nuts even with the driving glasses on.

I have found that brown tinted sunglasses help with glare from the computer and from overhead lighting. the pamplet outlines steps to take in the classroom and would benefit you as a teacher.

you might want to print out a copy and provide it to your school district in case there are children who are having difficulty in class.

wish you the best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz