HLA B27+ AS

Post here with questions about other autoimmune diseases or conditions.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

diane_s

HLA B27+ AS

Post by diane_s »

Good morning... I just posted in the new member area but I do have a few questions and wonder if someone might have a suggestion...

I am 37, female and diagnosed with HLA B27 AS about 10 mos ago. My symptoms have been growing since October 2003. I understand this is an unusual diagnosis for women, and the rheumatologist that I was referred to when my own MD was exhausted of ideas, was equally surprised to see that B27+ in my labwork. Anyway...

I have been struggling to reach success with the Hydroxychlorquine 200mg BID and the increasing dosage of MTX over the last year and a half and have finally reached the point of 'failure' so I can move on to a trial of Enbral that I am working forward to trying in 3 weeks. I found my way to this site quiet by accident..... here is my story!

I have been having R eye pain for about a week now... coming and going in intensity but feeling like a 'caffine' detox headache or a low grade migrane. Yesterday I began having blurred vision just in the R eye... and it feels weird.. its hard to describe.. when I blink or move my eye to look around. This morning i was literally blinded by the sunlight and it caused a sharp stabbing pain. My eye waters incessently.

I about fell off my chair when I did a google search on eye pain and saw the correlation of Iritis to my AS condition. Does this sound like something any of you have experienced as Iritis??

Any help would be appreciated... Thank you!
~diane
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Choice of medications is critical with treatment of uveitis and other autoimmune disease processes. Plaquenil and Enbrel aren't used for it. Usually things like Methotrexate, Imuran, and NSAIDs are used or other biologicals such as Remicade or Humira. Enbrel doesn't work with Uveitis. NSAID therapy is ORAL not topical and needs a doctor to monitor the NSAIDS. often Celebrex or Dolobid work in about 70% of uveitis patients and AS.

Wish you the very best,
MIke
Mike Bartolatz