Lotemax?

Addtional information on drugs and medications.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Jennijen

Lotemax?

Post by Jennijen »

Has anyone had any experience with this eyedrop?
I've been using prednisone drops for 15 years, and my doctor has gotten me to try Lotemax a couple of times, because he wants me to get off prednisone if possible. I've never been successful with it, although it's supposed to be similar to prenisone.
I also use Celebrex daily for my Ankylosing Spondylitis- I had used Voltaren for several years, but found I didn't need that strong a medication. One Celebrex daily does the trick. My main problem is the iritis...
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Celebrex has a better track record in getting one to no inflammation. if you haven't achieved this with celebrex or voltaren it might be time try another NSAID such as indomethacin SR or change to immunomodulatory drugs such as methotrexate which has a good track record in the quelling of inflammation in AS patients or Cellcept.
if you don't get this inflammation under control in your eyes it will lead to permanent vision loss. Lotemax is just another corticosteroid but at a lower dose than prednisilone acetate, pred forte.

suggest you get input from a true expert in the diagnosis and treatment of uveitis and other disease processes, an Ocular immunologist. the closest to you would be Dr Perez in Cleveland or Dr Opremcak in Columbus.

wish you the very best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz
Jennijen

NSAIDS

Post by Jennijen »

I've had little to no problems with my AS, I've been blessed there. I was diagnosed in 1998, but have no fusion. I do have the HLA-B27 gene.
I've heard of people using immunosuppresants, but I've heard some horror stories about the side effects that can occur. My opthamologist has has mentioned it before, but since I have pretty good vision (20-20 when there's no flare), he thought we should stick to the steroids for now. I know he's not one of the experts you've listed, so I will look more into this stuff...
I try to read some of the articles, but frankly a lot if this is Greek to me... it's almost as bad as reading law books!
Thanks for you help...
Jenni
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

jenni,
there is a Glossary of medical terms related to Ocular Inflammatory disease developed by the Support group in Boston and Dr Foster. go to http://www.uveitis.org once there click on patient information and then BOOKMARK the link into your 'favorites' list.
read through it from A to Z along with working through the Hotlinks in the topics. you must do this in order to be your best advocate.

I moderate the site at http://www.uosg.org the online support group affiliated with uveitis.org the patient information section of the Ocular Immunology and Uveitis foundation in Boston. my email is mike@parsplanitis.org which is also part of the OIUF in Boston.

mike
Mike Bartolatz