IBS low-starch diet

Post here to exchange iritis general information and support with others.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

kristihart

IBS low-starch diet

Post by kristihart »

Hello,

I have been suffering with chronic iritis for 2 years. I am HLA-B27 positive, but have no diagnosis of an autoimmune disease at this point. I've been doing a little research and came across kickas.org, which focuses on low-starch diet as helping with ankylosing spondylitis and/or other HLA-B27 ailments. Has anyone tried this? I am trying it and it has seemed to help with whole body inflammation. I'm still in the early stages and in a tapering down period from Durezol, so I can't attest to whether or not it works yet. I was just curious if anyone else has tried and had success.

Thanks!

Kristi
kwork

Re: IBS low-starch diet

Post by kwork »

I've tried it and it did work some but not 100% for my AS. Fortunately the iritis is in remission with biologics but the AS still doesn't respond the same way. Diet does help with any autoimmune disease but everyone of us is different so there isn't an easy answer. I have a chapter on diet and how important it is in my book, but also make sure to point out it isn't a guaranteed cure. This is what makes these diseases so difficult because we can't say eat this or take this drug and you will be fixed.

-Kevin
Iritis.org Administrator
vancouver

Post by vancouver »

Do u guys have granulomatous cells? Since u have as?
My doc said he can tell I don't have a systematic disease from type of cells I have. I only know of two type of cells ie sticky and not sticky. I must be missing something.
Diet is important because the gut is important. New study hints that Parkinson is caused by proteins in the gut
Migrating to brain.
kristihart

Post by kristihart »

I don't have an AS diagnosis. My rheumatologist didn't see anything in my blood or body to indicate an autoimmune disorder. I haven't heard of granulomatous cells. I'm not sure what that means.

I agree about the gut and immune system. it's a very interesting field. I take probiotics daily. So far, we tried methotrexate and i had a very bad reaction. Then when I was put on Humira, I had an allergic reaction to that as well (albeit it was 12 days after injection). I'm just at a loss as to how to get rid of my Iritis.
vancouver

Post by vancouver »

kristihart wrote:I don't have an AS diagnosis. My rheumatologist didn't see anything in my blood or body to indicate an autoimmune disorder. I haven't heard of granulomatous cells. I'm not sure what that means.

I agree about the gut and immune system. it's a very interesting field. I take probiotics daily. So far, we tried methotrexate and i had a very bad reaction. Then when I was put on Humira, I had an allergic reaction to that as well (albeit it was 12 days after injection). I'm just at a loss as to how to get rid of my Iritis.
I just know that granulomatous cells stick together and stick to your cornea etc. You are probably non granulomatous if they can't find any systematic disorder.
Granulomatous iritis is associated with serious illnesses so it is weird that no one discusses it. The discussion is always about hla b27. I was not tested for hla b27 either.
I have not seen a study that indicates a dramatic difference between iritis populations with and without hla b27.