blurry vision during use of steriod drops

Post here to exchange iritis general information and support with others.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Efeeney

blurry vision during use of steriod drops

Post by Efeeney »

I started having symptoms of iritis two weeks ago. Initially the ophthalmologist thought it was irritation due to my contact lenses, but four days later with worsening symptoms he officially diagnosed iritis. I've been on 1% prednisolone drops every 4 hours since last Friday and the redness/pain are gone. He's started a decrease by 1 drop every 5 days taper of the meds. The only symptom I still have is blurry vision in that eye (mostly distance). It varies throughout the day (better/worse/worse after close work) and has me concerned. The doctor wasn't concerned and said the drops could slightly dilate the eye and cause visual disturbances (pressure was good, said clear cornea and lens via slit lamp exam with no dilation). I'm to see the optometrist in the office for refraction in 4 weeks per his instructions. Does this sound reasonable? Has anyone else experienced this? I'm really worry that something irreversible has happened to that eye.
Mike Bartolatz

Re: blurry vision during use of steriod drops

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

yes steroid eye drops can cause blur of vision. usually dilating drops are added to the steroid eye drops when iritis is present to help to prevent adhesion between the iris and the lens. dilating drops cause a lot of blur of vision. hopefully your blur will go away in a few days or so. usually vision returns to normal once the steroid gets out of your vision. prescription can change a little however and is why he wants you to see the optometrist. if red eye returns or floaters increase, get in right away for another slit lamp exam. the optometrist will most likely do a slit lamp exam on your visit and will then refer you back to the ophthalmologist if the inflammation returns for more treatment. if it goes away again on treatment and if it then returns again, a reason for it's return should be looked into. with over 85 different things linked to uveitis, a complete medical history, immediate family medical history and questions about travel and exposure to pathogens would be taken to try to figure out why you have recurrent iritis/anterior uveitis.

wish you the very best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz
Efeeney

Re: blurry vision during use of steriod drops

Post by Efeeney »

Thank you for the reply. I wasn't prescribed a dilating drop, just the steroid. I'm hoping this improves, because it's driving me crazy in addition to worrying me.