Kenalog intraocular injection

Post here to exchange iritis general information and support with others.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Tonyakwv

Kenalog intraocular injection

Post by Tonyakwv »

Had this today. Nauseated bad. Eye pain worse. Very swollen. Is this normal? Or is it a bad reaction to the Steroid used? I also had to stop my Indomethacin today due to side effects. Could the nausea be coming from this also? Help please!!
Mike Bartolatz

Re: Kenalog intraocular injection

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

it could be if it is increasing pressure inside your eyes, which is a consequence of steroid injection INTO the eye.
contact your doctor right away for a pressure check, if he can't get you in and the nausea continues, go to the ER or to an optometrist for a pressure check. some Walmart's, Costco's etc have optometrists on the weekend and you could get pressure checked there today.

why did they inject into the eye? usually these shots are given to tissue SURROUNDING the eye not into the eye as the injection into the eye is a last resort because of potential problems like glaucoma, bleeding etc that can occur.

wish you the best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz
Tonyakwv

Post by Tonyakwv »

Thanks for the info. I still feel awful and nauseated and eye pain. I don't know why he did this but I know he did. I have a big white bleb in the jelly like fluid of my eye. I have felt like part of my eye jelly is trying to leak out from the corner(which I don't think is possible). :roll: Help!!!
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

it sounds like the shot was under the conjunctiva rather than into the vitreous with a 'bleb' present. I've had this happen too but I didn't get nausea from it. it did hurt a bit however. it took several days to abosorb which is normal.
injection into the virtreous does have a risk of leaking the fluid that fills the eye especially if pressure goes way up inside the eye causing glaucoma. get in immediately for evaluation at an ER.

take care,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz