Link to an under active thyroid through Iritis

Post here to exchange iritis general information and support with others.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Brighteyes

Link to an under active thyroid through Iritis

Post by Brighteyes »

I have suffered with Iritis now for over 10 years usually only suffering in my left eye with light sensitivity only, generally never red or sore until recently I was diagnosed with a cold sore in the same eye!
Since then I have been diagnosed with an under active thyroid & prescribed thyroxine for life.
I have a theory that this maybe linked & the problem missing from my body as both are auto immunine deficient.
Anybody else have this situation?
Mike Bartolatz

Re: Link to an under active thyroid through Iritis

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

I am a bit confused, is your iritis always in the one eye or is it bilateral?
the herpes simplex virus that causes cold sores can cause iritis. the treatment for this is with an antiviral medication taken orally for a very long time. this antiviral is required to keep the virus dormant as if it is allowed to reoccur it can move to the back of the eye and it can cause acute retinal necrosis a very serious and blinding condition. the virus only attacks one eye. it causes a lot of adhesion between the iris and the lens which causes glaucoma to occur.

autoimmune thryoid disease isn't directly linked to uveitis if I recall correctly; But, that said the IL23R gene seen in autoimmune thryroid disease causes inflammation that can also impact renewal of iritis once it has been started in the eye.
this same gene is found as a cause of inflammation in many inflammatory conditions.

wish you the very best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz