Exercise and iritis

Please introduce yourself to others by posting a brief note here. This serves as an archive for the site and helps us keep track of our many participants' situations. You will not get replies to posts placed here. To interact with others, go to the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS area of this website.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

msobre

Exercise and iritis

Post by msobre »

Hi all,
I'm a 36-year-old in good physical shape. Two weeks ago I was diagnosed with iritis for the first time, which at first seemed mild but then inflamed up to very serious. I've been treated with atropine, combigan, prednisoline, durezol and polymyxin. Still waiting on the results of some tests to see if it is a systemic issue, but so far all my blood panels have come back healthy. My iris has detached itself from my lens, and now we're stepping me down on the drugs.
My question is about exercise, specifically running and white water rafting.
First off, I am supposed to compete in a relay race in California July 10. I have been running and doing yoga to train (I ran a half marathon in Feb). For the past weeks I haven't been able to do anything other than walk my dog due to the inflammation in my eye. Does anyone have any info on running and iritis? I really want to do the race but if I take much more time off from training I don't think I'll be able to do it.
Secondly, I have friends who want to do a white water rafting trip in California on July 7. I have no idea if I can do that or not.
Any info would be greatly appreciated, as I'm dying not being able to work out!
Thanks,
Miriam
Mike Bartolatz

Re: Exercise and iritis

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

if all other health matters are good, exercise isn't a problem and is a stress reducer so go for it.
wear safety goggles/sunglasses to protect your eyes. they come in interchangeable lenses. wear the darkest ones that are polarized that you can stand while out in the sun with dilated eyes to protect your retinas. I wear brown sunglasses on overcast days to protect my eyes since I have Intra Ocular lenses implanted to replace my own lenses from cataracts.

take care,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz