Hi, here to learn and share my experiences

Please introduce yourself to others by posting a brief note here. This serves as an archive for the site and helps us keep track of our many participants' situations. You will not get replies to posts placed here. To interact with others, go to the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS area of this website.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Greg33

Hi, here to learn and share my experiences

Post by Greg33 »

Hi all, glad to be here in the company of others with this condition. My name is Greg, I have a twin brother that also suffers with this condition since his late teens, I ended up with the same condition 6 years after he first did and I've benefited a lot from his experiences. We both have been tested and have the same HLA-B27 gene, although no one in our family has ever had anything like this show up as far as we know.

I'm towards the end(I hope) of my 3rd incident in my 33 years - 2003, 2005, and 2012 are the years I've had an Iritis episode and I'm presently just over 1 month into this episode. I've been prescribed Prednisolone Acetate(1 drop every 2 hours), and Cyclopentolate(3x a day) to dialate my pupil. About 2 weeks ago, my doctor had me taper off the Prednisolone drops to 4 times a day and all seemed well for about a day, and then it happened... I had a flare up that woke me up from a dead sleep with sharp pain and the feeling of sand in my eye. Fast forward to now and it's been two weeks and i'm feeling much better but there is a tiny bit of inflammation still lingering and the Doctor decided to prescribe me Durezol, a drop I've never used and the pharmacy had to special order for me. I'm Hoping to discover what others experiences have been with Durezol as I'm holding off taking it for now, the doctor said I could choose to try it or stick with the Prednisolone until I see her next week. She did warn me that I'm at a higher risk for infection with Durezol.

I'm off to do some reading as there looks to be a lot of great info here, thanks for reading and hope to talk to you soon.

-Greg
Mike Bartolatz

Re: Hi, here to learn and share my experiences

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Welcome to the group Greg!
one thing with generic prednisilone Acetate, you must shake the bottle for at least a couple of minutes in order to suspend the steroid into the solution in the vial. (this information is from an individual who works for Allergan the manufacturer of the genric). often a very slow taper is needed to keep one from flaring up too. you might also consider adding a Non steroidal anti inflammatory medication at prescription strength to see if it will help get you over this bout of uveitis and hopefully keep it at bay. Naprosyn is available as a generic as well as dolobid .

durezol is a very good drug but it is to be used only for a short period of time, two weeks maximum as it can cause elevated intra ocular pressure (like glaucoma). all steroids can cause this too as well as cataract formation. we suggest a steroid sparing approach to treatment as outlinked by the American Academy of Opthalmology, the American uveitis Society and the Ocular Immunology and Uveitis foundation.

hopefully you can get over this bout quickly.

wish you the very best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz