Refused by Rheumatologist?

Post here to exchange iritis general information and support with others.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

junebug101

Refused by Rheumatologist?

Post by junebug101 »

So I have been diagnosed with Iritis, 3 flares in the last 6 months. Tested positive on ANA and HLA-B27, yet when my opthamologist referred me to a rheumatologist he said they refused me saying it would be a waste of time to see me? And that blood tests can give false positives etc. I am so confused by this...has anyone been through this? Should I let this drop or still try to get a rheumatologist referral elsewhere? I have had lots of fatigue, starting before Iritis as well as pain in my knees, feet and lower back, as well as dry eyes. Thanks for any advice!
Mike Bartolatz

Re: Refused by Rheumatologist?

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Yes, get another rheumatologist who understands autoimmune disease processes. that statement although true to some extent, doesn't mean that you don't require treatment for your EYES with DMARD drugs. HLA B27 uveitis is directly linked to HLA B27. you do not have to have condtions other than uveitis with this gene but you CAN develop them. your other symptoms tell you that something is going on with inflammation as the body reacts to TNF A seen in uveitis and just about every autoimmune or inflammatory disease process or even from bacteria etc. this causes the body to want to sleep as well as causing the major component of inflammation seen in all of these things.
corticosteroids help shut down this inflammatory cytokine stopping inflammation. TNF A blocking drugs and DMARD drugs also help to stop it's production.
you will have recurrent uveitis that ping poings between eyes. that is why a steroid sparing approach to treatment is needed. use the steroids to put out the fire of inflammation and then used DMARD drugs to retrain the immune system to stop attacking your eyes. NSAIDS like Cellebrex, Dolobid and Naproxen can also help quiet your type of uveitis. you take the NSAID at prescription strength for six months in order to see if it will stop the underlying inflammation related to the HLA B27 gene. the ophthalmologist then monitors your eyes and does blood tests to make sure the NSAID isn't causing systemic problems with liver and kidney function, heart etc. if this doesn't work at Six months, then move on to DMARD drug such as Methotrexte, cellcept or Imuran alone or in combination with Remicade or Humira (other TNF A blocking drugs don't work for uveitis. Plaqueniil often prescribed for RA doesn't work either.
\
I will be out of town for the next five days without computer access, I will reply when I get back.

Wish you the very best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz