New to the Iritis Scene

Please introduce yourself to others by posting a brief note here. This serves as an archive for the site and helps us keep track of our many participants' situations. You will not get replies to posts placed here. To interact with others, go to the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS area of this website.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

LisaCC

New to the Iritis Scene

Post by LisaCC »

First I want to say how grateful i am that this site is here. I had never even heard of Iritis before this. I came down with a flu like virus Jul19. As flu symptoms progressed and passed, my eyes were red, tender and i started having very hazy vision. My PCPprescribed antibiotic drops to make sure it didnt turn bacterial and then sent me to my Opthamologist. He diagnosed me with bilateral Iritis and put me on Pred Forte and tropicamide. After no change and possibly worsening condition after a few days he got me an appt with Dr Hinkle at MERSI (Dr. Foster) Jul29. I was put on 60 mg oral Prednisone, hourly pred forte and switched in homatropine for the tropicamide. The prednisone has been nasty. i feel loopy, lethargic, angry at times, sweaty, shaky and terrible heartburn, the likes i have not experienced since pregnancy! I returned for my 3 week follow up and improvement was noted. I am weaning off of everything and currently on day two at 30mg of Prednisone and pred forte 3x/day. It was recommended that i follow the naproxen protocol and was prescribed 375mg 2x/day. Is this a typical dose? I was surprised only because the OTC is 220mg. I was hesitant about going on daily medication as I am very lucky at 45years old to only be on a probiotic as a dietary supplement. I am particularly concerned with the stomach side effects although my heartburn seems to be alot better since i am now splitting my Prednisone dose to twice a day v. all at once. The haziness & photosensitivity have definitely improved, (very slowly, i had no idea how long this would take) i get peripheral flashes much less frequently and mostly now in the early morning and late at night and the floaters are less noticable. Also another side effect i am having and it occurred to me that it could be a side effect of coming off the Pred is muscle cramping & spasms particularly in my feet, calves, hamstrings, lateral abdominals and, yesterday for the first time, hands! Haven't read any side effects on my medication warnings regarding this.
Again, so grateful for this site. It helped me decide to not take any chances and follow the naproxen protocol. The Dr seemed to think i had a more than 50/50 chance of recurrence due to the severity, stubborness and bilateral case i had.
Also so grateful to live in the Boston area and have access to the best doctors!

If i had one question i would love addressed it would be regarding the dosage for the naproxen and if 375mg 2x/day is typical.
Mike Bartolatz

Re: New to the Iritis Scene

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

first of all Welcome to the group!
You are EXTREMELY lucky to have drs Hinkle and Foster guiding your care. DR Foster is a personal friend of my BTW. I've been doing online support work for over 12 years now and he has taught me much of what I know today. He is the best there is in treating all forms of Ocular Inflammatory Disease processes and their underlying causes.

the dose of naprosyn has to be selected by the doctors. the 'prescription dose' rather than the "OTC" dose are often much different.
please contact dr Hinkle right away as muscle pain that didn't exist before taking almost ANY medication can be problematic and not something to put off.

if the flashes of light continue, make sure you tell Dr Hinkle about it so that a very close examination of the retina can be done along with some additional testing to make sure there are no new changes within the layers of the eye below the retina.

I get many of the same spasms that you are getting. they attribute mine to Fibromyalgia. in some ways I don't believe this to be true as it seems to be a catch all diagnosis and way too many people seem to be getting Fibromyalgia along with uveitis.
there are many connective tissue disease processes that might need to be looked into that can also have uveitis as a component. with your present age. hormonal changes might be allowing uveitis to occur. many women seem to get forms of uveitis mid to late thirties or forties.

If you see Dr Foster or his wife Frances, please send them my best. I live on the 'left coast' in Tacoma, Washington. it has been about 5 years since I saw them last. I do interact from them from time to time online as I help out with Uveitis Foundation's online support groups at http://www.uosg.org
http://www.parsplanitis.org and Dr Foster has his website, http://www.uveitis.org that you are welcome to use to learn about much of this.

wishing you the very best,
Mike Bartolatz
Mike Bartolatz