Uveitis

Please introduce yourself to others by posting a brief note here. This serves as an archive for the site and helps us keep track of our many participants' situations. You will not get replies to posts placed here. To interact with others, go to the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS area of this website.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

rhhawaii

Uveitis

Post by rhhawaii »

Hi everyone,
I was diagnosed with uveitis in both eyes in 8th grade, about 4 years ago. It hasn't come back since then but my doctor said it usually re occurs after your teen years when your hormone levels decrease or something. about a year after i had uveitis I had to get cataract surgery for my left eye but my vision is still blurry without glasses and with glasses on my vision is still not that great for my left eye. Is this normal? I don't know how long my eye was inflammed because i only went to the eye doctor when i've noticed that everything was cloudy in my left eye because of the cataracts.How can i tell if my uveitis returns? I have no clue of telling if i have uveitis because other than the cataracts, my eye felt completely normal. It seems like im always so paranoid about this, and it is so depressing knowing that there may be a chance that this will return. I'm noticing that my right eye has slight clouding when i look at certain things like a bright light or a window, but it is barely noticeable and doesn't bother me at the moment. My vision for my right eye at the moment is 20/30 without glasses and probably better than 20/20 with glasses. I'm about to start my senior year soon and just got into driving, its really fun driving with friends and all but I don't want my vision to get in the way and I don't think i would be able to drive if my vision gets as bad as it is in my left eye, even with glasses on. Do you think my vision is bad because of the cataract surgery or because of the uveitis? Sorry for asking so much questions and making this post so long.

Thanks,
Reid
Mike Bartolatz

Re: Uveitis

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Reid,
only an opthalmologist can answer your questions for sure after examination. what might have happened is protein could have built up on the back of the lens capsule after the cataract surgery. if this is the case, a YAG laser surgery can blast a hole in the Capsule to improve your vision. they can use the 'pin hole' test to see if your vision improves this way by looking through the hand held device with little holes in it. if your vision of the eye chart improves, then the YAG laser surgery can help.
you should have an annual visit to the opthalmologist to make sure the uveitis isn't active. this is especially the case if you do not have red eye associated with active inflammation. if the middle or back of the eye has active inflammation often you cannot tell for sure unless you get photophobic, light bothers you. if there is a sudden increase in floaters or if you see a curtain come across your vision get in IMMEDIATELY to the opthalmologist as bleeding can be occuring from detachment of the retina. flashes of light would be another symptom to get in right away or pain inside the eye. double vision is another.

Wish you the very best,
mike
Mike Bartolatz