Introduction - a little history

Please introduce yourself to others by posting a brief note here. This serves as an archive for the site and helps us keep track of our many participants' situations. You will not get replies to posts placed here. To interact with others, go to the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS area of this website.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Eye Friday

Introduction - a little history

Post by Eye Friday »

Good day,

As requested, a little about me. . .

I am a 30 year old female with a very healthy, if somewhat stressful professional, lifestyle. I am HLA B27 positive. I got left eye anterior uveitis (badly) for the first time in 2006 and am suffering the second flare (outbreak) at the moment. I have had allot of other symptoms this time round, including lethargy, nausia, stomach and joint pain, getting the outbreak a day after spending the night in hospital with vomiting. I am seeing a rheumatologist and gastrologist and my fantastic GP is helping me on the jorney to diagnosis. I went to the Sydney eye hospial emergency (I am not far away from the Sydney CBD where the eye hospital is based) both times with uveitis. I have recieved good care from caring professionals to date and my symptoms while telling are were only really bad for a few weeks, now they are mostly just annoying as they limit my lifestyle.

I had allot of conjunctivitis up until my mid twenties and also had orbital celeulitis in 1996.

My mom (57- also HLA B27 possitive) has chronic uveitis now, but had isolated out breaks (once or twice a year) from her 30s which became more and more frequent as she got older until about the last 5 years, when she almost alwas has it. She was reffered to the uveitis clinic at the Sydney Eye Hospital some years ago. She recently had cateract sergery. She is otherwise healthy. It is good to have her to ask questions of when something feels a bit odd, but she doesn't always know the answer.

Thank you for setting up the site. It is good to have a "serviced" community to refer to when you have questions that are important but not urgent enough to have to go to the doctor to ask about.

I will post my questions in the discussion area as requested. Thanks again,

Eye Friday
Mike Bartolatz

Re: Introduction - a little history

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Welcome to the group!
most often HLA B27 related uveitis is triggered by a pathogen usually one that impacts the GI tract. everything from salmonella, H pylori etc can trigger uveitis and an underlying condtion to appear if genetics are there to do so.

will post to your questions in the GENERAL discussion forum,

wish you the best,
mike
Mike Bartolatz