Mis-diagnosis

Please introduce yourself to others by posting a brief note here. This serves as an archive for the site and helps us keep track of our many participants' situations. You will not get replies to posts placed here. To interact with others, go to the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS area of this website.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Simon Turner

Mis-diagnosis

Post by Simon Turner »

Hi my name is Simon Turner. I live in Norfolk England.
It's good to see I am not alone in my Iritis
I had a burst blood vessel in my right eye then been treated with 6 weeks of 3
different antibiotics for conjunctivitis. It didn't go. Not surprising as it was Iritis
My Iritis is associated with colitis another auto immune disease. Does it feel good having
an immune system that is too good? No. But both are mild at the moment so I consider myself lucky.
I will not be beaten by this. I have had to develop this attitude for colitis. Is there a psychosomatic
element to Iritis?
My eyesight is (very) slowly deteriorating in my (affected) right eye, I wonder if anyone could
suggest what that may be as it was my dominant eye before. It is not, the consultant says, glaucoma.
Is this par for the course? No-one in the medical profession seems surprised but you need
thumb screws to get any answers. I'm fresh out.
Mike Bartolatz

Re: Mis-diagnosis

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

did you test positive for the HLA B27 gene associated with iritis (anterior uveitis) and ulcerative colitis and crohn's disease.
frequently this combination requires more than just topical steroid eyedrops to treat, I assume you are also on a dilating drop to prevent adhesion between the iris and the lens.
uveitis can also present along the pars plana just behind the iris. cells causing floaters to occur in the front of the vitreous are another form of intermediate uveitis. if the cells are in the back of the vitreous it is called posterior uveitis. uveitis can also cause inflammation of the retina as well as cystoid macular edema and new blood vessels can grow in the retina which can then bleed. this is Oedema in the UK. both Oedema and vascularisation of the retina are treated with an injection of Avastin, a vascular endothelial growth factor drug, into the eye.
posteroir and intermediate uveitis are treated with periorbital injection of corticosteroid or oral steroids because the molecule in steroid eyedrops cannot penetrate to the middle or back of the eye. NSAID eyedrops don't help uveitis BTW. Oral nsaids can help in some individuals.

Vision often returns to about where it was prior to inflammation once off all meds for a couple of weeks.
we have a thread for individuals from the UK in our general discussion forum. Rob is a Brit with uveitis and is also a pharmacist. He can help you through this.

wishing you the best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz