Iritis and jetlag

Post here to exchange iritis general information and support with others.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

uwe.itis

Iritis and jetlag

Post by uwe.itis »

Hi everyone,

I got my first iritis 5 years ago and have them up to 3-4 times a year. It's HLA-B27 related and definitely triggered by stress.

I also tend to get iritis when I have a jetlag (after travelling between the U.S. and Europe) and tried to avoid it using NSAID (Voltaren) for quite some time prior, during and after the trip. Unfortunately it didn't really work and I still get flare ups. Since I'm travelling quite regularly, this is hardly sustainable. I thought about using steriod drops (1 drop a day or so) for one or two weeks after the trip, but haven't tried this yet.

Does anyone have experience with iritis after jetlag and any strategy for preventing it? (or any successful prevention strategy when you know a stressful situation is coming up?)

Many thanks,
Uwe
mtbargeman

Re: Iritis and jetlag

Post by mtbargeman »

Uwe-

I don't know anything about jet lag. Last time I had it, I broke both eardrums on the plane, but had no eye disease at the time. I can't fly... As for preventing flare ups, the only way to do that is to get the immune system under control WITHOUT steroids. I use Humira for this, and it is used for many of the HLA-B27 disease processes. Most of the time, the eye doc should put you under the care of a Rheumatologist, and they should start with a DMARD like methotrexate. I tried several things before Humira, none of which worked.

Try to de- stress as much as possible- I like naps- and that should help at least a little.

Feel Better,

Mary
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

is your stress actually anxiety? if so you might seek treatment for the anxiety which could help prevent the chemicals related to stress being produced by your body and thus help prevent flare up of your uveitis.

I agree with mary when she indicates that you need to find a steroid sparing approach to treatment of your HLA B27 related uveitis. DMARD drugs or Biological meds may be required to retrain your immune system to stop attacking your eyes. Over time the recurrent iritis can become more frequent or chronic resulting in complications such involvement of other parts of your eye I.E. pan uveitis, vascularization of the retina, macular edema, epiretinal membrane formation , cataracts and glaucoma with permanent vision loss. although treatment with corticosteroid is always required in the acute stage of uveitis, another means of keeping the eye quiet has to be found to save the corticosteroids for any renewed bout of inflammation should it occur.

do you have any signs of arthritis or Gastrointestinal problem? heart problems or vascular problmes? a history of scleritis?
any hearing loss?

wish you the best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz
uwe.itis

Post by uwe.itis »

Mike,

thanks a lot for your reply. Yes, my stress could actually be anxiety - which I hope can be addressed mentally (perhaps by taking up yoga?) or perhaps with drugs. Do you know of any uveitis-case who successfully reduced flare-ups by reducing anxiety and how? Unfortunately I have a pretty stressful job (which I actually like) and have so far been reluctant with thinking about a job-change.

I've also talked to a rheumatologist who told me Sulfasalazin could be a helpful base medication. I actually wanted to wait with these drugs since they impact the ability to have kids. But will definitely try DMARD.

So far I got along quite well with NSAID (very limited stomach problems) and flare-ups are much less intense. Don't have arthritis (although had some synovitis), heart problems or other problems - yet. (I'm 33 years old).

@Mary: How much did Humira reduce your flare-ups? Did it fully stop or does it just occur less often?

Many thanks,
Uwe
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

have you been tested for amyloidosis which can cause vascular problems or other clotting factors seen in autoimmune disease processes? DMARD drugs such as methotrexate, cellcept, cyclosporine, Imuran are all used to treat uveitis and underlying autoimmune diseases. but, they cannot be taken during pregnancy. usually they are employed by the ocular immunologist for TWO YEARS to retrain the immune system to stop attacking the eyes, then they are tapered over six months and then after an additional six months one can then try conception. in the scheme of things they have been shown to NOT increase cancer risk in individuals with uveitis and Ocular Inflammatory Disease processes. the Biologicals do have increased risk of cancers and other concerns too. NSAIDs can cause heart problems. usually Celebrex, Dolobid or Naprosyn are used rather than Motrin (Ibuprofen).
synovitis is related to arthritic diseases and the same chemicals are found in inflammation inside the eye during uveitis, most often IL17A related but other cytokines are also found in the inflammatory process along with TNF A to varying degrees. quieting down inflammation in other areas of the body is key to getting the eye to quiet down as well. often underlying autoimmune diseases present in the mid to late thirties in women as the hormone levels change impacting inflammation.

my stress levels are directly linked to my anxiety issues and I take medication for it which has improved my life dramatically. I am also diabetic and elevated glucose levels contribute to mood and anxiety so upon getting that under control it has lessened my anxiety too.

wish you the best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz
mtbargeman

Post by mtbargeman »

Uwe-

Get proper treatment for your vision BEFORE you have kids. Yes, Humira kicked the crap out of Uveitis for me. I didn't get it before I was legally blind, with only a ten degree visual field. I have two children, ages 11 and 7. I wish I knew what they really look like. I wish I knew what my husband really looks like. I haven't been able to see them as well as I could be seeing them for a couple years now. It sucks.

After not being able to earn money on my own for seven years,, I finally found work online as a copywriter. I put out 4,000 words every week. I don't have the energy to check in here as often as I want to. By the end of the day, I'm fried. My dyslexia seems to be getting more pronounced. I've always had it; it reaers up worst when I'm tired or need new specs. I was taught to get around it when I was little. The lady that taught me what I needed was the first person to tell me I should become a writer. I was six or seven years old.

So, GET TREATMENT. Trust me. It's worth it, and so are you.
Mary