Hi!

Please introduce yourself to others by posting a brief note here. This serves as an archive for the site and helps us keep track of our many participants' situations. You will not get replies to posts placed here. To interact with others, go to the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS area of this website.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Janetj

Hi!

Post by Janetj »

I was diagnosed with iritis about three weeks ago. At that time it was only one eye. Now it's both eyes but it is much better with steroid drops. Saw my GP this week and will have blood work done but no apparent underlying causes. I work on the computer all day and I'm wondering if this aggravates iritis. Also, at the end of next month I'm planning to go on a mission trip and will be outside in the bright sunlight all day. I'm concerned about permanent damage. I had never heard of iritis before so I appreciate this site and all the available information.

Janetj in Alabama

Forgot to mention I also have glaucoma.
Mike Bartolatz

Re: Hi!

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Janetj, Welcome to the group.
you can do all the computer work you wish but may need breaks to rest your eyes from time to time.
get very dark green wrap around sunglasses that are POLARIZED to wear outside. Brown tinted ones to wear inside on the computer to cut glare.
if you wear glasses, they make 'cataract sunglasses' that go over your regular glasses and you can buy them at just about any pharmacy. if there is a Walmart near you they sell them there where regular sunglasses are sold for about 20 dollars.
they also sell better quality ones in their optical shop for about 35 dollars. just about any drug store has them.
they aren't pretty but they WORK.
perhaps the most important 'test' you can have done is for the HLA B27 gene sometimes found in Uveitis patients. iritis is also known as anteriour uveitis.
there are over 85 things directly linked to uveitis of various types and only exposure to various pathogens or family medical history would tell the doctor what to look into.
if you are using 'generic' corticotsteroid eyedrops, make sure you shake the bottle for At lease THREE MINUTES to get the drug properly suspended in solution before putting them into your eyes. then, with the head tilted back and the eye closed, press in on the inside corner of your eye for about a minute to keep the drop from going down into your sinuses and causing the terrible taste that they have. this ensures that the drop is properly absorbed by the eye. then wait about 5 minutes and put in the dilating drop. the dilating drop is very imporant as it keeps the iris from sticking to the lens when inflammation is present. this also causes additional blur of vision and aversion to light because the pupil is constantly open and the sunglasses will help with this. it takes several weeks for the dilating drop to get 'out of your system' so be patient with the blur.

wish you the best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz