connection with Facial Nerves?

Post here with questions about other autoimmune diseases or conditions.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Mussbu

connection with Facial Nerves?

Post by Mussbu »

Mike, thanks for your past help.

Since my last flare-up of Iritis (Summer/Fall 2008), I've noticed an odd sensation with my facial nerves on the same side as the affected eye. At that time It was confirmed that I had the B27 gene. Is there a connection of Iritis affecting the facial nerves?

Thanks,
Keith
Mike Bartolatz

Re: connection with Facial Nerves?

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

there are several conditions that can cause problems with facial nerves and which relate to uveitis. some of the connective tissue disease processes can have vascular compression of nerves in the face such as systemic lupus erythematosus, LYME disease, herpes zoster. you should bring any new symptom to the attention of your doctors however. different nerves of the face are implicated in various things so your doctor can help sort this out.

I am unaware of any connection to HLA B27 uveitis. with lyme disease it causes Bells palsey, permanent paralaysis of the face. the left side if I recall correctly. I can't recall if it is paralysis of the face with herpes zoster. the transcient vascular compression of nerves with the mixed connective tissue disease processes with SLE, Sjogren's syndrome etc. are electric shock like if I recall correctly.
Mike Bartolatz