Passing of DR Jeff Haberern

Issues concerning developments in care of Ocular Inflammatory Disease and other noteworthy Items are contained in this forum.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Mike Bartolatz

Passing of DR Jeff Haberern

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeff was a member of this support group for many years. we helped him to look for a treatment other than just corticosteroids and for a diagnosis other than just intermediate and posterior uveitis since the uveitis would not go away with just corticosteroids. He traveled to Boston to see DR Foster and the diagnosis of Ocular Lymphoma (Masquerade syndrome) was made and treatment begun.
I will miss him dearly. Hid daughter is a medical doctor doing residence in opthalmology because of her desire to help all with OID.

I will always keep you in my thoughts Jeff,
Mike Bartolatz

Below you will find the note from Doctor Foster posted to the http://www.uosg.org website

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear All,
We thought that using the words of his daughter below was the best approach to informing all of you of Jeff's passing. Jeff as you know was a physician, a uveitis patient related to ocular lymphoma, and a longtime support group member as well as our new member moderator. His passing is not only a great loss to society but also to our Foundation, OIUF, and all patients with ocular inflammatory disease.

Peace be with you Jeff, you will be missed.

Dr. Foster and Frances Foster

Email:

Dr. Foster

It is great regret and difficulty that I have to inform you the Jeff passed away Sunday, June 28, 2009. He had compassionate use stent surgery to help repair his Basilary Artery anuerysm (which had grown to 3.5 cm) in Feb. 2009 and had many medical complications in the months that followed including a right pons stroke 48 hours post surgery. After months of hospitalization and rehab he was able to spend 10 days at home until he was readmitted to the hospital in Septic Shock on June 19th. After many days of fighting and multiple organs going into failure we made the difficult decision to turn off the pressors. He passed away peacefully with his family at his bedside an hour and a half later.

Due to the great appreciation and love that he had for the Ocular Immunology and Uveitis Foundation we have decided to donate all monies received and are encouraging others to contribute to the Foundation. Jeff was devoted to helping others within the Foundation and drew great strength and support in it during his struggles with Ocular Lymphoma we know that this is what he would have wanted. Up onto the end Jeff was thinking of others and what future advances could be made within your Foundation and also with the stent research that he participated in. We hope that with the monies raised that much research can be had.

Deep Regrets,

Liesel Haberern and Family

C. Stephen Foster, MD, FACS, FACR
Mike Bartolatz