visual review of opthalmic disorders

Issues concerning developments in care of Ocular Inflammatory Disease and other noteworthy Items are contained in this forum.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Mike Bartolatz

visual review of opthalmic disorders

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

http://www.redatlas.org/main.htm

this a GREAT resource to see what things look like from conjunctivitis, episcleritis, scleritis, uveitis related to various conditions showing the iris and the retina etc. to all type of uveitis, cancer and other things that affect the eye.
Mike Bartolatz
LisaC

what is going on with my eyes?

Post by LisaC »

I have been having blurry vision now on and off for several months. I went an opthalmologist and he said my situation was interesting. He said I had white blood cells in the front of my eyes which made him label my condition as Iritis. But, I don't have any of the other symtoms of iritis like redness, sensitivity to light or pain, just blurriness. It's almost like I have a film of something on my eyes and I need to rub it out. It also really flares up when I am up moving around like cleaning house or just taking care of my 3 kids. I can lay down and rest and my eyes will be better and as soon as I start to do something they start bothering me again. I explained this to my opthalmologist but he kind of shrugged it off. He gave me the prede forte drops and I took them for the period of time that I was supposed to and my eyes are still bothering me. I have an appointment again tomorrow but would just like another opinion. Any help would be great, this is really starting to scare me.
Mike Bartolatz

Re: visual review of opthalmic disorders

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

rarely iritis will give no other symptoms than cells in the anterior chamber or protein shed from the cells which causes a fog like effect. a complete exam of the middle and back part of the eye should be done to make sure that there are not inflammatory cells there which are spilling over into the front of the eye. intermediate uveitis which causes cells in the vitrious humor (the jelly like substance of the eye) can occur giving no red eye or photophobia. inflammation in the choroid can also occur giving off cells in the back part of the vitreous and it too would also give no red eye or photophobia. a depressed scleral exam to look at the area just behind the iris should be done to make sure there are no pus like accumulations which would indicate 'pars planitis' which can cause spill over cells into the anterior chamber.
It can take several weeks for vision to recover from iritis and the drugs used to treat it. if a dilating drop was given to use, blur of vision can continue for several days to a week or more once you are no longer taking it.

I hope this helps,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz