Expired meds

Addtional information on drugs and medications.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Pete O

Expired meds

Post by Pete O »

I had my second occurrence of iritis in 12 years in January / February 2005. I was prescribed Homatropine (Dilating drops) and Pred Forte (Steroid drops) and tested for HLA-B27 (I have the gene). The treatment worked well and it was gone in about 6 weeks. Last night (Saturday) my eye started feeling like it did before, by this morning I had all the symptoms of iritis. I had three choices, go to the emergency room and get misdiagnosed for pink eye like I did two times before, suffer till Monday, or self medicate. Because of the pain I choose the latter. My eye feels and looks a lot better now and I am going to see my ophthalmologist first thing in the morning. I was looking at the bottles and noticed the Homatropine expired 09/05 and the Pred Forte on 03/05. Should I stop now or continue till I see my ophthalmologist?
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

it is not advisable to use expired meds. hopefully your doctor will prescribe new ones for you today.

Wish you the best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz
Pete O

Post by Pete O »

I saw my ophthalmologist today and he said the Homatropine (Dilating drops) are usually good up to one year after the expiration and Pred Forte (Steroid drops) have an indefinite shelf life. This was also confirmed by the Pharmacist. I was also prescribed TobraDex for bedtime.
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

boy I really question this advice. doctors I have spoken to indicate that the longer drugs are on the 'shelf' the more likely they will actually change in composition once opened.

hope you don't have adverse effects,
mike
Mike Bartolatz