Please help - confused about treatment (herpes uveitis)

Addtional information on drugs and medications.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

sew

Please help - confused about treatment (herpes uveitis)

Post by sew »

Hi,
I have recently experienced my first bout of uveitis. I'm 28 years old and have a history of herpes keratitis (first and only bout at 8 yrs of age). I was pregnant at the time of been diagnosed with uveitis and told the cause was unknown. I pleaded with the doctors to prescribe anti-viral ointment, but they refused. I understand the difference between uveitis and keratitis but I figured it couldn't hurt to have the anti-viral anyway. My "gut" instinct was that the cause was the herpes virus and it seemed logical to me to try to control the cause of the inflammation, not just the symptoms. Anyway, I was put on steroid drops (FML) but because the inflammation was progressively getting worse, the strength was increased (I ended up on hourly pred forte drops). It was then discovered that herpes was the actual cause of my iritis/uveitis. I was given anti-viral ointment to use with the tapering pred forte. This seemed to keep the inflammation in-check but didn't solve it completely. I was then given valacylovir oral tablets (500mgs twice daily) to use with the ointment and still slowly tapering the strength/dosage of the steroids. 2 weeks later the inflammation had significantly reduced, then 4 weeks later it had completely cleared! I have been left with a permanently dilated pupil which is very sensitive to light.

My question is; my doctor is insistant that anti-viral therapy is not "standard" for herpes uveitis and that it was just co-incidence that it cleared after being put on the oral treatment. This doesn't seem logical to me, but it that correct?

Also, I'm terrified that this will flare-up in future and could be refused anti-viral treatment again. What should I do?
Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Please see my response to you in your identical post.

FYI, FML is not the first choice for treatment of Uveitis. PRED FORTE is.

mike
Mike Bartolatz
sew

Post by sew »

Thank you again Mike. What a disaster I've been through.....ugh. Very glad to find people who know about uveitis here! Please see my other post under the same topic (sorry for the double post - something went wrong my end).