Humira vs Remicaide

Find an iritis/uveitis doctor close to you.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

candace

Humira vs Remicaide

Post by candace »

Our 11 year old daughter has a stubborn case of uveitis, after trying methotraxate and naprosyn, along with 2 kenolog injections we have had no results. She is currently on extremely high doses of oral prednisone, which has finally calmed the uveitis, but of course she cannot stay on it for long periods of time (already has been on it for 3 months) and once she goes off the uveitis comes back (we attempted this method several months ago waiting for methotraxate to kick in). Her eye sight has diminished quite a bit and were told she had only several months to get into remission before she goes legally blind.

We recently were able to visit Dr. Stephen Foster in Boston who suggested Cellcept along with Remicaide. She has been taking the Cellcept for a couple of weeks.

My question is: Dr. Foster suggests Remicaide and our Doctors at home are suggesting Humira...which is the better choice? safest choice?

Thank you for any information you can provide for us!
Mike Bartolatz

Re: Humira vs Remicaide

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Follow the directions of Doctor Foster who is the BEST ocular immunologist in the World, he is also a board certified rheumatologists and he treats more children successfully than an other opthalmolgist in the World. He started all of this stuff regarding alternatives to corticosteroids.

Dr foster gave you his email address at which you can contact him ANYTIME a question arises governing your daughter's care. no question is too small to ask of him. He really cares about the wellbeing of his patients, especially children. he often has to pick up the pieces of well meaning opthalmologists and rheumatologists especially with kids.
he wouldn't suggest Remicade if he didn't feel that your childs chances of reaching remission would be best by employing this TNF A blocking drug.

wish you the very best,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz
candace

Post by candace »

Thank you so much for your reply. We are just parents trying to get our daughter healthy...and trying to follow our doctors orders, but get confused when there is conflicting advice amongst them.

Just found this forum and am amazed at all the wonderful information it provides!
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

I try to post the most trusted information from the internet on topics here at iritis.org.
the treatment of your daughter is best left to an expert, Dr foster to prevent the blinding consequences of uveitis such as that which your daughter has. often well meaning local doctors get in the way with this stuff. I cannot advise on one drug over another as I am not a doctor. I am a moderator at doctor foster's online support groups. I suggest that you join the online support group which has a parent's forum where those parents and facilitators (some with doctorate degrees in medicine and related fields) are available to guide you and help you weed out any misguided help you might get elsewhere.
http://www.uosg.org.

if you need to contact doctor foster, you can do so through his site at http://www.uveitis.org where you will find contact for his clinic at MERSI in Cambridge,

I will also help in any way I can here at iritis.org and at the LEARNING about ocular inflammatory disease at the uosg support group.

wishing your daughter speedy relief from her sight robbing uveitis,
Mike
Mike Bartolatz