NSAID THERAPY in recurrent HLA B27 associated uveitis

Post here with questions about other autoimmune diseases or conditions.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Mike Bartolatz

NSAID THERAPY in recurrent HLA B27 associated uveitis

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

The following is an excerpt from an article written by C Stephen Foster MD following the ARVO meeting in 2005. I have borrowed it and placed it here because the question often comes up as to how effective NSAID therapy is.
msb

____http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/505926__________________________________________________________________

The efficacy of chronic oral nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) therapy for prevention of uveitis relapse in patients with a history of recurrent HLA-B27-associated uveitis was studied by Teasley and colleagues[16] at the Ocular Immunology and Uveitis Foundation in Boston. Forty-three patients (86 eyes) were studied, and the pre-NSAID and post-NSAID attack rates were compared. The average pre-NSAID attack rate was 1 episode every 12.8 months; the post-NSAID rate was 1 attack every 38.3 months, off all corticosteroid therapy. Five patients experienced gastrointestinal discomfort which was alleviated by a change in the NSAID being employed. The authors concluded that there was a 66.8% reduction in recurrences of uveitis in this population of patients with recurrent HLA-B27-associated uveitis through the chronic use of oral NSAIDs, with complete freedom from steroid use. They are now attempting to mount a double-masked, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial on this matter.
Mike Bartolatz
Cushing

Re: NSAID THERAPY in recurrent HLA B27 associated uveitis

Post by Cushing »

Mike,
"They are now attempting to mount a double-masked, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial on this matter."
As this article was from 2005, any idea if they ever did mount the double-blind study and, if so, were there were any significant conclusions?

Cushing
Cushing
Mike Bartolatz

Re: NSAID THERAPY in recurrent HLA B27 associated uveitis

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

I don't recall but this article is here because NSAID therapy works.

I'll see if I can find new information but I doubt it.
the choice of drugs are in this order, Celebrex, Dolobid (difusinal) and Naprosyn (naproxyn sodium) celebrex because it is a cox1 and cox2 inhibitor the others work on only one type of inflammation so that is why something like Zofran is added to protect the stomach.

Wish you the best,
mike
Mike Bartolatz