trying to understand

Post here with questions about other autoimmune diseases or conditions.

Moderators: Mike Bartolatz, kwork

Mah4372

trying to understand

Post by Mah4372 »

Recently had my first (diagnosed) episode of iritis, up to this point I had never been that concerned about my med conditions. Quick history, 95 - Ulcerative Colitus, 97 - Autoimmune Hepatitis. 02 - Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis. With this episode of Iritis I finally decided to se a Rheumatologist. I also have really bad knee pain and a few other joints from time to time. I have been on Imuran, Asacol, Ursodiol and (Protonix, newer) for many years. Up to this point none of my Drs have ever been able to help me with the joint pain or explain it to me. I went to the Rheumatologist hoping that she could put some of this together for me, but she was more focused on the knee pain, a few times a year I can be sitting at my desk and it will start burning, gets really bad, (I do have a pretty high tolerance for pain also) I have to stand up and slowly straighten it out, and then as I would tell my kids after a good fall, "walk it off". To make a long story short, the Rheuematologist told me that my knee pain was from being out of shape. ???? I will have to confess that I do not hit the gym, but I am pretty active and I feel that is not the case. So here is what I am trying to figure out, would a knee hurt that bad from just sitting . Because I am out of shape? (supposedly).
Mike Bartolatz

Post by Mike Bartolatz »

Sounds a bit strange to me. with your relationship to your autoimmune diseases there is a possibility that they are related to the HLA B27 gene which predisposes to various forms of joint disease which includes the large joints as well as the spine.
because of your disease, Remicade or Humira MIGHT help with all of your condtions along with Methotrexate or Cellcept. I'm not a doctor but this combination of drugs often quells the inflammatory cascade related to your autoimmune diseases. If I were you I would get an Ocular immunologist involved before long term consequences of the iridocyclitis that you have leads to retinal problems. Dr Chu in NJ or Dr Samson in NYC, or Dr Nguyen in Baltimore would be my suggested close ocular immunologists. of course there is always DR C Stephen Foster in Cambridge, MA. who could definitely get you proper treatment,
one of the above doctors might be able to suggest a Rheumatologist as well near you since they see patients from your neck of the woods.

Wish you the very best,
Mike Bartolatz
Mike Bartolatz